Training Thais to Teach Thai

quote:

Originally posted by db_sez_aloha:

"Er, do you mean English is the most taught SECOND language in the world? Seems to me Hindi and some Chinese dialects might have a leg-up..."

The world's most widely spoken languages are:

1.Mandarin

2.English

3.Hindi/Urdu

4.Spanish

5.Portuguese

6.Bengali

7.Russian

8.Arabic

9.Japanese

10.French

11.German

12.Wu (China)

13.Javanese

14.Korean

15.Italian

Note: Hindi and Urdu are usually lumped together as their grammar is identical; only the vocabulary is partly different.

cool.gif" border="0

[ June 08, 2001: Message edited by: Ubaath ]

David Crystal, one of the UK's top english language experts, lists speakers of English as a first language as "over 300 million." Exceeded by those who speak it as a second language who total "at least a further 400 million...perhaps a further billion." However he adds, "there are no reliable figures available" for the latter total, "In South America...the total is pure guesswork."

100 million chinese watched the BBC's learn English TV series, Follow Me, in 1983.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you are looking for thais to teach thai to farangs?

There is a big conference next month (date??)at Chiang Mai University on "Teaching Thai as a Foreign Language " Im sure you could contact teachers through the organisers.

My experience is that a lot of the teachers

involved through the university networks are

by far the best, not only far more advanced in teaching methods, but constantly developing and updating their courses.

The contact is:

Professor Sriwalai Ponmanee

Centre for Teaching Thai as a Foreign Language

Chiang Mai University

email: edsdi007@chiangmai.ac.th

fax: (6653)221283

Archived