British gal raped and murdered Samui

BuffHello

I've been doing a bit of research and come up with some figures.

Between March 2003 and March 2004 there were 842 murders in the UK out of population of 60 444 457.

Thailand (according to TAT figures) recieves 11 million visitors a year.

If you use the UK as a yardstick, you'd expect (unless my calculator's broken) 152.9 of them to be murdered.

Much as I have great sympathy for the girls family and regard what happened as a hideous and despicable crime I think it should be taken in perspective the press should consider how many visitors make it home without being murdered or raped.

Cheers

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SiLeakHunt said:

Between March 2003 and March 2004 there were 842 murders in the UK out of population of 60 444 457.

Thailand (according to TAT figures) recieves 11 million visitors a year.

If you use the UK as a yardstick, you'd expect (unless my calculator's broken) 152.9 of them to be murdered.

Your logic is flawed. Most tourists stay at most for two weeks, so you better divide that figure with at least 26. That should give about 5 murders on tourists per year. Pattaya alone gets more than that.

Paillote

Looks like I've opened a can of worms. I don't know exactly what the average length of stay is so it makes my figures a little irrelevant.

If it was a fat bald sanuker that got murdered in Pattaya it wouldn't make the news. I don't know how many Brits have been murdered in Thailand over the years, but just going off statistics you'd expect, bearing in mind the numbers to be a little higher.

There's parts of Manchester have a murder a week that goes unreported.

Cheers

Thai fishermen beat, raped slain student-police

Mon Jan 9, 2006 01:04 PM GM

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Forensic evidence backs up the confessions of two Thai fishermen that they raped student Katherine Horton and left her to drown on the holiday island of Koh Samui, police said on Monday.

Police said DNA samples taken from Bualoi Posit, 23, and Wichai Somkhaoyai, 24, matched DNA found in semen in the body of the 21-year-old Reading University student.

The two men face murder charges which could bring them the death penalty.

"Doctors have confirmed that sperm found in Katherine matched the DNAs from Bualoi and Wichai, whom we have other evidence against, like their confession and scratches on their bodies," Police General Preophan Dhamapong told a news conference.

Both men, flown to Bangkok for forensic tests after being arrested early on Monday, confessed they had killed Horton, but Wichai denied he had raped her, Preophan said.

Police said a tipoff from a British couple, who said they had heard an X-rated movie from fishing boats floating 100 metres (yards) offshore, led to them interviewing more than 30 fishermen, who said Bualoi and Wichai had boasted of raping the woman.

"They said they watched the movie while drinking, then swam naked on empty barrels ashore and found the victim walking alone on the beach," National Police Spokesman Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj quoted the two men as saying.

"One held her neck and the other beat her with a plank, which also hit his friend, and raped her," Ajiravid told Reuters.

"When they came back to the boat, they boasted to their colleagues that they had just raped a foreigner."

The two men would be charged formally in court later this week, police said.

"We will charge them with conspiring to kill and rape, which will have a maximum penalty of death," chief investigator Aswin Kwanmuang told Reuters by telephone from Samui.

Horton was on holiday on Koh Samui with friends. She had been due to return home this week.

(Additional reporting by Noppawan Bunluesilp)

steffi said:

Only one murder? I've been here since December and there's been more than one murder. The media reports 4 British Tourists murdered in 5 years. Who considers that safe?

only 4! its definately been a lot more than 4 over5 years .

more like 20++.

taking all nations tourists its up in the 100s.

i cant think of any other tourist destination that has such a high death rate for tourists ,except maybe Baghdad.

wait a minute= thai deaths of tourists must exceed Baghdad .

Archived