14 year olf girl jumps out of taxi

limbo

14-year-old girl jumps out of taxi

Published on Jan 09 , 2006 The Nation

Police said a 14-year-old girl was severely injured at 1 am Monday after she jumped out of a taxi which was transporting her to a love motel with a 30-year-old passenger.

The girl was rushed to Rajvithi Hospital by a passer-by after she jumped out of the taxi in Makkasan area, police said.

The taxi was stopped on Ramkhamhaeng Road and both the driver and the passenger, who is a Burmese man, were arrested.

Police have yet to interrogate the girl.

The taxi driver, Prakon Prasomboon, who appeared drunk, told police that the Burmese man offered him free drinks after he picked the man up. Then the Burmese man asked him to find him a girl whom he could buy sex service.

Prakon said he took the man to Lumpini Park where he coerced the girl to go with them by promising to giver her Bt500.

Prakon claimed that he did not know why the girl cried foul and jumped out of the taxi when it was traveling about 60 to 80 kilometres per hour on the way to a hotel in Makkasan area.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torney,

If they catch them and it is known in the papers and such. Otherwise a lot of turned heads and bribes I think. I've noticed the guys start hitting on the girls at a young age. I'm talking older men. Have seen 25 year olds asking to 'marry' 15 year olds. (Read, pay sin sot of pretty small baht, knock 'em up, and leave 'em for other pastures once the infatuation is over). Really is one reason so many young ones have kids already and end up in the scene later. In my opinion at least.

Cent

Cent said:

Torney,

If they catch them and it is known in the papers and such. Otherwise a lot of turned heads and bribes I think. I've noticed the guys start hitting on the girls at a young age. I'm talking older men. Have seen 25 year olds asking to 'marry' 15 year olds. (Read, pay sin sot of pretty small baht, knock 'em up, and leave 'em for other pastures once the infatuation is over). Really is one reason so many young ones have kids already and end up in the scene later. In my opinion at least.

Cent

Exact script of a girl I've known for 17 years. From Surin, arranged marriage when she was 14 and husband 28. A year later, she has a kid. He eventually goes to BKK leaving her and the kid with her parents and no support. At 19, she's working Soi Cowboy.

HH

Yep, I've run into a number of gals like that -- parents virtually sold them to somebody with money. I knew one gal from Nongkhai who was married off at 16 to a wealthy Chinese-Thai who gave her parents 1,000,000 baht. She was lucky though -- didn't get knocked up right away. After a year, the guy returned her and bought himself another cute teenage "wife", which he did annually. Seems most common in Isaan, not surprising since it is the poorest part of the country. Daughters are looked on a marketable commodities!

Flashermac,

Exactly! It's not a marriage, rather it's a 'virgin' price (the sin sot), the marriage isn't registered, the guy keeps her until he's done with his infatuation, and then she is returned to the family (usually preggers by then or already has a child) like a piece of shoddy merchandise is returned to the store. Then comes the non-payment of support for the 'wife' and kid. Mama and Papa have spent all the 'sin sot' (which by actual custom is supposed to be saved for the girl just in case this exact scenario happens; for her support). Now she has nothing, no education, no money, no support for the kid, and a Mama and Papa who still see her as a commodity rather than their loving daughter (a love they can exploit) and it's (she's) off to make them money in some other way while the kid stays with Grannie. (Usually in a factory or some place like that at first in BKK, but if there is a girl from the village making serious money in the P4P scene sometimes the girl is sent to this 'cousin/sister' to 'work' and try and make the same sort of baht for dear Mama and Papa.

I had a niece staying with us for a while. While her piece of shit mother (my wife's half sister) was up visiting us one time a guy who had been drooling over the neice in our shop when she was there stopped by with his father to see her 'mother' (I use the term VERY loosely here). They offered her 50,000 baht sin sot to 'marry' this 25 year old guy. 'Mother' wanted 100,000 baht, and they couldn't agree to that. So it never happened; and then I threw them all out once it was explained to me what was going on by wife and Sis. I was pissed she 'mother' could even entertain the thought and actually had a price in mind. She, our neice, was 14 at the time. I wasn't surprised at 'mother' though. At one point she had 'joked' that one day her daughter would work bar and find a rich farang husband and she would 'retire' in style and never worry about baht again.

Sickening.

Cent

Flashermac,

"Seems most common in Isaan, not surprising since it is the poorest part of the country. Daughters are looked on a marketable commodities!"

Yep. Very true, but not just Isaan. Most of the rural countryside is poor in Thailand. This happens much more often than any of us/most of us would think. Happens in ALL of Thailand, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Korat, Nong Khai, and every little town and village in the country. We sometimes forget MOST of the people in the LOS are surviving at or below poverty levels. Luckily one can still grow their own food and forage for fruits, berries, fish, rodents, frogs, and bugs to supplement their income and diet here. Or if lucky enough to live by the sea, fish, crabs, and clams, and such. What most tourists and visitors see are the more wealthy and better off of Thai society. Get away from the tourist traps (as you well know from your own experiences) and there is a whole different world out there in the boonies and slums of the LOS. You (not you FM. I know you have been around many years and seen it all :)) should take a walk on the dirt sois OFF the main drag that runs through our village. Some pretty sad things/structures people live in, and life is pretty mean and poor on those back sois. A 'ghetto' really in the countryside. Weird thing is, they do seem fairly happy most of the time. Superficially at least. The back stories are sometimes much less pleasant though.

Anyone know the average income in Thailand? If I remember last time I saw it was around 2,500 USD annual? What is it now? But then, the cost of living has gone up quite a bit the past year or two was well. And take off the top 10% rich Thais and refigure those figures I say. Then we would see what it really is.

What we spend in one night in BKK whoring and partying most poor Thai families could feed six people well for a month, and pay their rent. Barfine, LT, foods in a farang style restuarant, hotel cost, and beers and drinks, taxi fares and such in one night are riches for a poor Thai family. No wonder they see us as walking ATM's who shit dollar bills and wipe our asses with twenties. Our airfare to and from the LOS is a half year's wage to most.

Sometimes we forget this.

Cent

Archived