"gaw lay-ow gan" - Translateable??

gawguy

I see this clause attached to the end of phrases in my study materials, but it isn't exactly translated.

tham hai dee thee-sut gaw lay-ow gan.

Just do your best.

khaw nam-paow gaw lay-ow gan.

I just want plain water.

khun ab-nam goan gaw lay-ow gan.

You go ahead and shower first.

I also heard it spoken yesterday in a store between two shop girls, but I didn't hear what it was tagged onto.

How would you translate it, or...what does it mean.

Thanks,

GG

It adds emphasis and finalises the sentence which is often a request. E.g., you may ask what kind of beer they serve, and then order by saying, "Aw bia Leo gaw laew-gan." It could be translated as, "I'll have Leo beer, and that's it," except in English it would sound a bit rude.

I guess any of the above are correct depending on context, and like lots of phrases it is very difficult to translate exactly into another language however my own usage of the phrase is to register a resigned ?OK, (let?s try (that))? or ?not entirely happy, but for want of anything better?

For example:

If you ask for a Singh Beer in a restaurant but they tell you ?no have, only Kloster, Leo or Chang? you would say ?OK, kor bia Leo laew gan?

On the Golf Course when you?re not sure of what club to play for the distance required you might say to your Caddie ?long lek 5 laew gan?

Paul

• 8 months later...

Archived