Lao-US couple shot in NongKhai

BuffHello

Prince Souphanouvong was one of the founders of the Pathet Lao I believe....back in the 50s when they were fighting against the French.

Don't you find it odd how little coverage this story is getting? Two American citizens murdered? I think they want this one swept under the rug.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More from THE NATION:

"Their associates told The Nation that the couple had been advocating a return of the monarchy to the communist-ruled country. Despite their monarchist leanings, they seemed to have maintained no close contacts with political movements or armed groups hoping to overthrow the government in Laos.

A Lao official, however, said that monarchist feelings and claims of royal descent were very sensitive issues politically in the country.

The couple are not the first Lao activists to have been killed in Thailand.

Several Lao dissidents have died in Thailand since late 2003, when Sisouk Sayaseng, the suspected leader of an attack on the Vang Tao checkpoint in Laos's Champassak province in July 2000, was shot dead in Ubon Ratchathani.

Phra Uthai Thammasopit, an elderly Buddhist monk who was a former captain in the Laotian Royal Army, was shot dead in Bangkok last October following the death of many fellow royalist military officers who fled from Laos after the communist takeover of 1975. None of the cases has been solved."

Flashermac said:

Lots of AP reports on the internet now. But the Thai government gets along quite well with the decidedly corrupt "communist" regime. No need to rock the boat ...

I've seen nothing on BBC or CNN yet. Getting along with everybody is the Thai way. Works for them.

"Prime Minister Khamphoui Sisavatdy called upon U.S. Government to help protect election by insuring international observers will be available if election is suddenly moved up."

Good luck with that Prime Minister. The US is busy at the moment and if someone shows Bush where Laos is on the map he'll be even less interested.

Archived