Meanwhile, back at the swamp ...

Flashermac

THE NATION

19 January 2006

Cracks found in western runway

Airports of Thailand Plc has refused to endorse the Suvarnabhumi Airport runway hand-over, after a cracks on the west runway were found. Deputy Transport Minister General Chaiyanan Charoensiri admitted that he has been informed of the six-millimetre-wide cracks, which affect 800 square metres of the west runway used for take-offs and landings. "Preliminary discussions with the contractor showed it did not mix a polymer substance with the concrete to strengthen the surface. The runway has developed cracks after test flights," he told reporters yesterday.

Transport Minsister Pongsak Ruktapongpisal said he had not been informed of any cracks and was too busy with other issues to investigate the matter at present.

"But we [development agencies] regularly meet on Tuesdays. We could discuss it then."

Surachit Surapongchai, senior executive vice president of AOT, however, insisted the crack along the white lines painted down the middle of the runway is really small.

Thai News Agency also reported that he referred to comments by Japanese engineers who said the crack is a normal phenomenon for airports, which could be taken care of through daily or weekly maintenance.

That the polymer was not mixed with concrete was in line with the design, he said. With polymer, the concrete would cost Bt4,000 per cubic metre, against Bt2,700 for non-polymer concrete. To reduce cost, the surface, which is not frequently used, could be built with non-polymer concrete.

"I insist that the construction is in line with the designer's specifications and that this crack will not pose safety risks," he said.

AOT has insisted that construction of the airport will be completed in March, including the baggage-handling system. Then, a period of three months is required for system testing as well as the transfer of equipment from Bangkok International Airport. The airport should be ready for opening in June as scheduled.

The airport's opening has been delayed since last September due to construction delays.

Could be an opportunity there. I cringe when I see some of the stuff that goes on. Would love to see some statistics. I may be bringing a deligation from the construction union here is Sydney over later this year. That should be entertaining.

I wonder what kind of safety standards they have for the guys that go into the sewers to clean them out.

oh yeh! I did see a rope on them in case they need to be pulled out.

Oh man, I have an enduring memory of seeing a sewer cleaning gang one time in Bangkok. There was this poor bastard literally up to his waist in shit doing his job. Any time I'm having a crap day in the office I remember that poor guy and well..... things just don't seem quite as bad. My thanks to that unknown trooper - DWS

Archived