Keystroke loggers at internet cafes?

steffi

How common are these are internet cafes in Thailand?

A lot of cafes reset from a known state each time a customer leaves so I guess when you find a software keystroke logger you can assume the staff are complicit.

I've been listening to Security Now and they make the point that you really should be careful what do you do on somebody elses machine.

Which brings me to my next question.

Where can I plug in my powerbook and use the network connnection (Assume I can setup my own VPN so I'm not worried about packet sniffers)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's an e-mail place in "Am Plaza," that new-ish collection of travel agents and tailor shops that's open on both ends, one end takes you into the ambassador, the other end is right on sukhmbvit soi 11 across from a 7-11.

I've been going there for years, since they were in the now-demolished row of e-mail places that lined the other entrance to the ambassador, the one from sukhumvit. I don't know the name, but they charge 60 baht an hour--decent for the area--and are very professional and nice. as you walk into Am Plaza from soi 11, it's the really large e-mail shop on your left past a travel agent.

you can plug your laptop in for same price as using their computers. they will charge you extra if you use their power, though.

preahko

There are keylogger protection detection and protection programs available free on the 'net; Google them.

One answer discussed on this forum several months ago is to use an inexpensive "thumb drive" not only to run a detection program from, but your own web browser. Just plug into any USB2 port.

Any user can install a keylogger into a computer with out the shops knowledge.

Not really, as far as know.

If _you_ want to install a keylogger on a certain PC you don't have access to you'll need to send a very small prog. attached to an email and you must convince the receiver to click on the attachment or you have to hide it on a CD to send to the 'victim'.

This software http://www.win-spy.com/ for example offers to hide the keylogger in a picture file to be send to a remote PC. :o

There are key loggers which can monitor everything: web sites visited, emails, Internet chats, e.g.. If I had serious doubts about a TG scamming me I would try this kind of stuff on her PC, in case she has one...

Last year there was a major case of industrial espionage in Israel using an especially written trojan horse just using this method.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8145520/

Of course there are trojans spread over the net which contain keyloggers, but this is a different story, since they are not aimed at certain computers, but just look for unsecured PCs all over the world. With a decent firewall and antivirus scanner and running antispysoftware frequently this should not be a major threat to a 'normal' computer user.

Archived