What's a good hospital in BKK for a Thai to go to?

Chlp

Does anyone know what would be a good hospital in Bangkok for a Thai person to go to for a simply surgical procedure? I've heard that Chulalongkorn Hospital is quite good but it's been a long time since I've heard it and I don't remember how credible the source was.

Thanks in advance!

It all depends on the dr and the procedure. Sirirat, chula and Mahidol are all university hospitals that the best doctors in the country will work at, as well as private hospitals. In order to get access to the best doctors it does take money and usually means visiting them in the private clinics and paying expensive fees. Of course after the procedure an envelope full of money is always welcomed and almost a must if they pulled strings and got your special rooms, times etc.

The general staff at these hospitals are underpaid crabby old bitches, are far as I am concerned, so after care will be a miniumium and family usually has to pitch in. This is where the private hospitals excel at. I personally find some of the private hospitals overboard now and you just want to be left alone instead of someone constantly checking up on you.

It would depend on the procedure on which hospital is the best. Sirirat does have an excellent cardiac ward and bi-pass surgery costs 200K there compared to 800K at a private hospital with the same doctor doing it. And at 200K you would have a private post-surgical room..

The Police Hospital (Rong Patyaban Tam Luat) just across from the Erawhan shrine on Chit Lom did a great diagnostic work-up of my GF's mother. She was suffering from diabeties, kidney disease and a host of other problems. Her local hospital in a rural Khon Kean district wasn't helping her at all but the director wouldn't allow referrals to other hospitals in KK out of petty jealousy.

Her work-up cost about B1000 including all procedures, tests and X-rays.

First come, first served; they got there at 9am and waited about 2 hours.

Follow-up by her physician was surprisingly thorough. He arranged a bed for her in KK and was able to get advanced OK's for ongoing monitoring of her conditions.

Archived