Thais ripping off foreigners.... Elsewhere in Asia

steffi

cardinalblue said:

One of the problems that westerners face is the expectation that we get treated fairly. I think we need to drop that concept...

I doubt Thais use workds like "ripoff' since this word is based on the premise of a platform of honesty, fairness, equity, competitveness, market value, etc.

Thais more apt to use words like "take advantage of, clever, smart. etc" when describing situations when they get the upper hand or negotiate a better deal for themselves against a fellow thai or a foreigner..

Yes, they have the preconceived notion that foreigners know less thai language, the culture, individual situations than the average thai but their discrimination is not based on color or race as much as the lack of knowledge and ways of the particular issue at hand. Meaning they try to get the best deal for themselves whether thai, korean, american, german, whoever..

So yes, it is better having a Thai negotiate a deal but it is much better having an educated and knowledeable thai negotiate a deal than the falang or unknowing thai...

I will add that for the falang, whatever we can do to better understand the situation meaning gaining language skills, knowledge on what things shiould generally costs, etc, the better one will do in securing abetter price in the negotiation..

But it has nothing to do with integrity, honesty, fairness as these our words and concepts we want to believe that is part of the process. Forget it and think only about getting the lowest price possible out of the deal....

I personally don't like because it turns into a hassle everytime, but never expect fairness or honesty or drop your guard or you will pay for it in a higher price....

Since i am furnishing a house and garden, we find ourselves doing a lot of comparative shopping before actual purchasing, we will go to 2 or 3 stores to get a baht figure (a reference point) on the same item and then i will start the negotiating process...

CB

I think you have done an excellent job of summing up why so many westerners feel like they are getting "ripped off" in Thailand. Of course, I used to feel that way every time I had to buy a used (or even new) car in the US.

When money is involved, never ever expect to be treated fairly any where in the world, but then again, don't take it personal either.

TH

Also all the major Meditteranean destinations are quite rip off as well. Places like Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, theses places will try to rip you off no worse than Thailand.

Northern Europe and Japan are the most honest compared to all other destinations.

I think this common saying is apt anywhere, those who feel will suffer whilst those who think will laugh.

Recently on a visit to Sukhothai my wife, my daughter and I entered one of the many areas of the old city where and admission is payable. My wife 10 baht, Myself 30 baht. I said as a joke, when my daughter is old enough to reqire paying admission would it cost her 20 baht because she is 50/50 thai, farang?

Archived