Denmark in trouble with Islam

Guest baldrick

THE WEEKEND AUSTRALIAN

4 February 2006

Iran launched 'secret' rocket test

(From correspondents in Berlin)

IRAN secretly tested a new surface-to-surface missile (SSM) on January 17, seeking to establish the measurements needed for long-range missiles, the German daily Die Welt reported in its issue to appear today.

The test, conducted by members of the Revolutionary Guard led by Yahya Rahim Safavi, was successful, according to Western diplomats cited by the newspaper, which did not indicate the location where the test took place.

On January 28, Safavi said that Iran would use its ballistic missiles if it was attacked.

"Iran has a ballistic missile with a range of 2,000 kilometres," he said on Iranian public television.

"We do not intend to attack any country, but if we are attacked, we are capable of effectively responding. Our position is defensive."

Mr Safavi was referring to the Shahab-3 missiles that Iran possesses which can reach Israel and US bases in the Middle East.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lazyphil said:

i wont express my true feelings here in case my ip gets traced by al quieda :(

Better not set foot in Mill Street for awhile then!

(for the benefit of other boardies,this soi is Cambridges equivelant to a little Middle East.Damn fine curries here though :p)

chuckwoww said:

Not sure how this relates to the Danish cartoons or the BNP?

Relates to the possibility that the Iranian prez may be using the cartoon to stir things up. Remember, he's waiting for the Umpteenth Imam to climb out of that magic well and destroy the unbelievers. He's showing the faithful that he is ready to help.

Lusty said:

I bet that the fact that the British and the U.S press NOT printing this cartoon has pissed of the Muslim fundermentalistists even more than if they had printed it!

Nothing worse than the fish not taking the bait,eh LP.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe not printing it was a smart move. I bet someone sees it as weakness though.

Flashermac said:
chuckwoww said:

Not sure how this relates to the Danish cartoons or the BNP?

Relates to the possibility that the Iranian prez may be using the cartoon to stir things up. Remember, he's waiting for the Umpteenth Imam to climb out of that magic well and destroy the unbelievers. He's showing the faithful that he is ready to help.

Still don't see much connection with the cartoons. The Iranians have been testing missiles periodically for years. They've been pissed off at Israel and America for as long as I can remember. This new guy Ahmedabiniwhatsit does seem to have some influence with Syria and Hamas but I'm not sure about the rest of the faithful. Some of the Sunnis find him downright scary by all accounts.

Here's an interesting interview with an Iranian cartoonist...

http://tinyurl.com/a7pbz

and here's Peter Brookes (Times cartoonist) on the same subject....

http://tinyurl.com/9su5v

Archived