Denmark in trouble with Islam

Guest baldrick

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smart move by Straw IMO. Wait a few days then distance yourself from it. British diplomacy at it's two-faced best.

Friday, 3 February 2006, 15:39 GMT

Straw condemns cartoon row press

French daily newspaper France Soir open on cartoon page

Some of the cartoons depict the Prophet Muhammad as a terrorist.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has condemned the decision by some European newspapers to reproduce cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad as "disrespectful".

But he praised the UK media for its "considerable responsibility and sensitivity" for not publishing them.

He said freedom of speech did not mean an "open season" on religious taboos.

Speaking after talks with the Sudanese foreign minister, Mr Straw said: "There is freedom of speech, we all respect that.

"But there is not any obligation to insult or to be gratuitously inflammatory."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4676524.stm

BelgianBoy said:
chuckwoww said:

French daily newspaper France Soir open on cartoon page

Some of the cartoons depict the Prophet Muhammad as a terrorist.

What is not said is that the editor in chief from France Soir got fired........ by the Egyptian owner !!! :( :(

BB

A lot of things were unsaid in that BBC article. They are being said elsewhere. The point of the article is that Mr. Straw, a skillful diplomat, is trying to put the fire out not throw petrol on it. He probably figures the cartoons aren't doing his case against Iran any good.

The US seems to be taking a similar approach...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060203/ts_alt_afp/europeislammediaus

Bkkbound04 said:

The fact that the danish cartoon was published three months ago and just this week caused a stir I'm sure is part of the Iranian mad mullahs diplomatic strategy.

JP

The original publication in Denmark had been almost forgotten. I think it's the recent spate of publication across Europe that has fanned the flames.

For the record I have no problem with the cartoons. I'm not religious and I'm all for free speech. It just looks to me like somebody is trying to put the heat on Iran at a critical moment.

Or maybe Iran is trying to put heat on the West.....I don't know. Hopefully all these clever diplomats and politicians know what they are doing.

I have seen your avatar described as muhhamad with the face of a pig, and today as muhhamad with the face of a dog. Are people seeing something I cannot? Just a pity all these protesters are not so outraged when it comes to people having their heads sawn off then having the video put on the web, surely that's offensive to muslims as well?????????????

It was the orchestrated protests about the Danish publication months ago that got the issue and the cartoons published in other countries.

Why were there demonstrations about something that happened three months ago?? ::

In the UK we have local elections due in May, I confidently predict the hard right will make considerable gains, this pussilaneous response by western institutions including ,media and politicians to a bunch of religious nuts is not going down well.

JP

Bkkbound04 said:

Why were there demonstrations about something that happened three months ago?? ::

I have no idea. Ask the demonstrators. I suppose the other European papers were showing solidarity with the Danish paper but intentionally or not they have fanned the flames.

In the UK we have local elections due in May, I confidently predict the hard right will make considerable gains, this pussilaneous response by western institutions including ,media and politicians to a bunch of religious nuts is not going down well.

Well you can't please everybody. All I know is what Jack Straw said in the BBC article. He seemed to be trying to calm things down. His successor may have a different approach. Good luck with the local elections.

BTW I just did a bit of research on the BNP to catch up with what's happening in the UK. Very interesting. It seems their attitude towards Iran is don't get involved.

"Iran mess vindicates BNP ?stay out of trouble? foreign policy

Iran?s probable impending acquisition of nuclear weapons, and her open threats to use them, have underlined once again what a dangerous place the Middle East is. They have thus shown again the madness of our present government?s policy of dragging Britain into the wars of this volatile region ? where we have absolutely nothing to gain and risk, at the worst-case scenario, becoming part of somebody else?s nuclear war.

The Middle East is seething with lethal religious, ethnic, national, ideological, and economic rivalries. Britain is not the policeman of the world, is not responsible for solving these conflicts, and is far too small a nation to play great-power games Our involvement is an act of vanity on the part of Mr. Blair, who would rather play at being the leader of a superpower, than use Britain?s armed forces for their intended purpose: the defence of Britain."

http://www.bnp.org.uk/news_detail.php?newsId=753

Archived