XX Olympic Winter Games in Torino

Mentors

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for all which lay on the sunny beaches....more important results from yesterday:

Cross-Country Skiing - Men's 30 km Pursuit (15+15)

01. E. Dementiev RUSSIA

02. Frode Estil NORWAY

03. P. PILLER ITALY

Snowboard - Men's Halfpipe

01. S. White USA

02. D. Kass USA

03. M. Koski FINLAND

Ski Jumping - NH Individual Competition

01. L. Bystoel NORWAY

02. M. Hautamaeki FINLAND

03. R. Ljoekelsoy NORWAY

Short Track Speed Skating - Men's 1500 m

01. H. Ahn SOUTH KOREA

02. H. Lee SOUTH KOREA

03. J. Li CHINA

important Medals from Yesterday

Pairs Figure Skating

01. Totmiania/Marinin RUSSIA

02. Zhang/Zhang CHINA

03. Shen/Zhao CHINA

MEDALS

Gold/Silver/Bronze

1 United States 4 2 0

2 Russian Fed. 3 3 1

3 Germany 2 0 1

4 Norway 1 3 4

5 Netherlands 1 2 0

6 Korea 1 1 1

7 Italy 1 0 2

8 Canada 1 0 1

8 France 1 0 1

10 Estonia 1 0 0

11 Austria 0 2 0

12 China 0 1 2

13 Finland 0 1 1

14 Czech Republic 0 1 0

15 Switzerland 0 0 1

15 Latvia 0 0 1

The crazy thing is Americans count medals differently than every other country. In America, a bronze is equal to a gold, and so is a silver. America counts medals, the rest of the world counts golds. So even though the rest of the world right now thinks America is winning (because it has most golds), America thinks it is down in 3rd place because it has fewer medals than Russia & Norway. I think the American way of counting medals is not as good and maybe if they "lose" this time because of their system they might just change their ways. Don't believe me? Check any American sports web page like here. Yup 3rd.

Neo,

thank you for input. I didn't know that. Looks strange to me.

Here in Europe, an athlet who has won Silver is often disappointed not to become Gold. Just with a Gold Medal you can earn publicity and advertising.

(except my lazy Swiss Team, that is very happy with a Bronze Medal).

For the purpose of keeping score, I favor assigning a point value of 5 - 3 - 1 for gold, silver, bronze.

Never could get into the WASP games, however. Not only did we lack a neighborhood bobsledding track coming up but I've always found it too subjective and lacking drama with its races against the clock, with starting position proving critical.

And don't get me started on the judging of the ice girls, which will soon take most of the focus. Don't understand why they don't put a bunch of guys at the top of a hill and the first one to bottom wins. That I could get into.

Only 80-some countries represented (as opposed to the full 200-plus of summer). Trivia time: What are the three most populous countries, in order, not sending a delegation to Torino?

US athletes do want to win and do want gold for their individual achievement. But just "medaling" of any type is considered good. Unless they are the hands down favorite, the worst place to finish for a US athlete is not 2nd, but 4th place--come home with nothing being that close is hard to live with.

Neo said:

US athletes do want to win and do want gold for their individual achievement. But just "medaling" of any type is considered good. Unless they are the hands down favorite, the worst place to finish for a US athlete is not 2nd, but 4th place--come home with nothing being that close is hard to live with.

yes, 4th is the worst place, we call them here 'leather medal'.

And the 5th place, i call them, the cowplat medal :grinyes: :grinyes: :reindeer:

Archived