Visa runners arrested

BuffHello

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone feel like answering my initial question, Below?

Question;

If you overstay your visa, you pay the 200b/day fine at exit point and conitnue happily on your way. Regardless of how long you have overstayed, even if it is months, you still only pay the 200b/day or max 20,000b fine, and then are free to leave. An immigration exit point will never lock you up for overstay, as you have declared it. But the MIB will, however, if they catch on overstayer away from a border.

My question though is this;

Whilst they will not lock you up at a border, they do preserve the right to blackslist you, should you have taken the piss (i dunno, 6 months over) or are a serial overstayer (lets say 10-20 overstays in your passport). So when trying to re-enter, they could tell you to fuck off. Has anyone actualy ever heard

of this happening to anyone? Ever heard of a guy making it

safely to the border and leaving after paying fine, only to be told he cant re-enter, because of previous overstays? I have heard this is feasable, and apparently the immigration dept are cracking down on multiple overstayers....but have never heard of this happening to anyone!

I stupidly overstayed many times in my first two years. One time, as stupid as it is, i overstayed 6 weeks. I did slightly overstay last month, but have vowed never to do so again. Bugger that, im warey of it now. The reason have never been financial, although the reasons are stupid and inexcusable.

Further more, what would stop someone who has overstayed big-time simply 'loosing' passport and getting another?

WYD, doubt if they guy could never return. I knew a fellow who was expelled from Thailand -- and came back about a year later on a new passport. Didn't have any trouble getting in.

p.s. A Thai lawyer once told me about a guy the cops had caught on a TEN YEAR overstay! He said he could get someone off with just a fine for anything up to about 6 months. But more than that, it was jail time and deportation.

"but then we get pulled over by the Tourist Police and Highway Police and they make a huge problem for us," he said.

Just read this again. So what the hell have the Tourist Police got to do with this anyway? This is not one of their functions. Hardly comes under the traffic police either. Tells you something very fishy was going on ...

I agree that the police were being harsh and no doubt after tea-money, however as many have pointed out, overstay is overstay.

If a Thai came to the UK and overstayed, he would be breaking the law and once found would be told to leave the country. It works both ways.

However, what Thaksin SHOULD be doing is making it easier for people to renew their visas - especially when tourist figures are down versus the same time last year.

Batty,

Yes. There are people who have overstayed one or more times and then been refused entry into Thailand at the crossing at Poipet.

In general, these were Indian or Pakistani.

The times it has happened when they were European or American is generally when they deserved it. In other words, they were assholes.

If you really want to score points with Thai immigration you can point out that you were given 29 days instead of 30 in the passport, using a calender to help them understand that YOU were Ok and THEY fucked up.

It is better to do this in a loud voice and insist on seeing a senior offiicer and argue that you should not have to pay the four hundred baht for two days as one day was due to their incompetence, etc.

Often demanding to see your ambassador can score additional points with Thai immigration. I am told that pointing out how things are done in "civilised" countries, ie, your country, can involve additonal immigration officers.

Other than cases like this refusal at borders is almost unheard of for people holding western passports....

If a Thai came to the UK and overstayed, he would be breaking the law and once found would be told to leave the country.

Yes he would, but in the meantime, he would be provided with access to legal representation, a translator, be detained in clean accomodation, treated in a civilised manor and not be subjected to extorsion demands by the police! It certainly doesn't work both ways, we treat them as human beings when they break the law, they treat us worse than animals in a similar situation. It's high time things changed, why do people continue to make excuses for the behaviour of these corrupt little fuckers. It's time for a change.

himitsu said:

In general, these were Indian or Pakistani.

To be fair, I should add that Malaysia makes it easy for FARANGS to stay in Malaysia. We can get 90 days free on arrival and virtually unlimited renewals without leaving the country. A South Asian might only get one month. Racism amongst Asians against Asians ...

:dunno:

The whole thing is a scam but the fact still remains that you take your chances in Thailand if you leave yourselc open in anyway whatsoever.

If you are unlucky enough to get caught up in anything that involves the law always take the opportunity to pay your way out. This avenue should always be taken gratefully. 5000 baht is peanuts. You spend more on a night out. Pay the money and chalk it up to experience. Of course i would always try to bargain a little on the first offer just as a matter of course but at the end of the day would pay the 5000 if i couldn't get a discount.

Archived