Visa runners arrested

BuffHello

"Lesson is .. be very careful what you do when you have overstay in your passport. "

I do not believe that there many circumstances under which one would "have to overstay." I'm with Sundam on this; there is no excuse (Tsunami possibly excepted) for overstaying one's visa.

lazyphi, you can probably have that happen to you if you put enough effort into it, but you'll have to wait until your visa expires :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
steffi said:

Well again find out how much Thailand benefits from "reasonable" overstay. More nights in hotels, more expenses such as food, taxi's etc etc. Then ask if they would rather have everybody leave on time or lose out on the revenues from such "reasonable" overstay.

There is no such thing as "reasonable" overstay. Either it is overstay or not.

Besides, your argument about people spending money in hotels etc. albeit on overstay, do you seriously believe that once they get their visa prolonged they will leave? Why would they extend their visa in the first place then?

geeez

steffi said:

Well again find out how much Thailand benefits from "reasonable" overstay. More nights in hotels, more expenses such as food, taxi's etc etc. Then ask if they would rather have everybody leave on time or lose out on the revenues from such "reasonable" overstay.

Because a) the rules are clear and reasonable and B) the majority of the overstayers are the guys who are skint IME. They put little into the country, instead living for the pursuit of the perfect B20 plate of noodles or B10 banana pancakes... So why should the Thais modify the rules for the broke or the lazy?

People, why is this hard????????? If you intend to stay longer than 30 days, get a tourist visa -- they are cheap and no one is ever turned down and you can extend them. Or do a visa run BEFORE you run out of time. If you can't afford to do a visa run, then you should GO HOME!!!!!!

And people wonder why a lot of Thais dislike farangs...

Regards,

SD

OCgringo said:

I never tried ! I live there,

So how long of a visa do you get when visiting the USA ?

It depends. But to extend (or if you overstay), from the USCIS website:

Why Do You Need to Extend Your Nonimmigrant Status?

A nonimmigrant temporarily enters the United States for a specific purpose such as business, study, or pleasure. When you entered the country as a nonimmigrant, a U.S. immigration inspector should have examined your passport and visa and then given you a Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record). This record should tell you (in the lower right-hand corner) when you must leave the United States. You can prove you did not violate U.S. laws by turning in your Form I-94 to the proper authorities when you leave the country. If you want to extend your stay in the United States, then you must ask for permission from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before your authorized stay expires. Proof that you are willing to obey U.S. immigration laws will be important if you want to travel to the United States as an immigrant or nonimmigrant in the future. If you break immigration laws, you may also become subject to removal (deportation).

Who is Eligible?

You may apply to extend your stay if you were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa, your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid, and you have not committed any crimes that would make you ineligible. You must apply to extend your status if you wish to stay longer than the date indicated in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record). Please note, you must submit the application for an extension of stay BEFORE your current authorized stay expires. You must also keep your passport valid for your entire stay in the United States.

See, no different than Thailand. Actually, it seems harder than a visa extension here in LoS.

Cheers,

SD

Archived