whats happened to night owl!!

keith doug

Trink may have just been going through the motions in his last few years at the Post, but the paper really treated him like crap.

No thank you party for a guy who had done his column for 30 plus years, no announcement even that the column was ending. The editor just pulled the plug. One week Trink was there, the next it was if he had never existed. It told you exactly what sort of person the Thai editor was who treated him that way. The editor said that Trink was part of the past and was no longer wanted.

Ironically, that very same editor himself got the axe because the Post had dared to criticise Thaksin -- ever so mildly. He became history himself. Som nom na ...

I did talk to the person who helped set up the website. I have met Trink a few times, the first time in the early nineties, and part of his problem was his refusal to deal with modern technology. He would not use a computer and provided his copy typed, immaculately, on an ancient typewriter. Even with the new site, which was purely to give him some money, he would insist that the copy was delivered as above and was not prepared to go out of his way to assist. The new site did get subs but not enough, it seems, to make Trink happy and he sort stopped delivering and the website owner sort gave up on it!

Not surprised. Trink had an old rusty typewriter at the Post, the kind you only see nowadays in pawn shops. This was in the mid '80s, when everyone else at the Post was already using computers.

I was a part-time sub at Student Weekly around 1983-84 and also did a column for SW for a while. I used to go in every Friday afternoon and do my work -- proofing the paper, choosing the winner of the students' writing contest etc -- before it went to press. And I recall very clearly that I did it all on a PC even back then. That was when Helga Duangsamosorn was the editor. Wonder what happened to her. Nice lady who had met her Thai husband when he was a monk!

The Post finally cut the budget for SW, so they had to let me go. I still did a fair amount of freelancing for the Post and used to drop by to see Trink now and then, though I usually went to lunch with Denis Segaller. Even in the late '80s Trink had that clapped out typewriter. Bet it is the one he was still using for the web site. He used to bang his pipe out on it and the insides were full of tobacco ashes!

Trink cut his own throat . he was asked by the editor to make changes to his column in particular his AIDS denialist stance and comments on that . He just wouldnt move with the times so after ignoring the editor his column was chopped. He still does the film/book reviews for the post ,but i doubt if he makes much money .

he was ok for his time but has been left behind by mangosauce and stickman etc.

Archived