Loas

Nervous_Dog

Just back from a 1 day work, very pissed as I had hoped to contect some locals while there but had to work non stop as my engineer didn;t do all her work and I had TOO!

FARK

However thought I'd point out a few things.

1 - crossing the border, if you need a re-entry permit like I did (Bought a multiple so I don't again) make sure your at the border BEFROE 4.30 PM!

Actually, make sure your at IMMIGRATION, which is 1 1/2 kms back down the road, (straight, NOT to Nong Kai) to get it!

In hindsite I ALMOST crossed late the night before. and didn;t think about this, luckily I didn;t

The number of restauants in the town is booming, and here is a shameless plug (KS - I own no stock) in "Le Central"

GREAT french restauant, 3 people, entries of goat cheese over hazelnut salad , cheese plate with HUGE hunks of cheese, and a pumkin soup.

Mains of Steak, great cuts, and sea bass and fettacini, ordered OFF the menu, but owner happy to make special orders at no extra cost!

Dessert was half baked chocolate cake, YUUUUMMMMMM

All up we rolled home (Day Inn) along with a few glasses of wine, total was 1800 baht, for food that equalled great european restauants in Australia/Canada it was DAM good value!

end of plug!

Noted the number of Katoeys growing!

DOG

No, le central is on Setthathirat, the next major parallell street to 'beach rd"

>Noted the number of Katoeys growing!<

And the number of 'out in the open' streetwalkers. walking home last nite from the fountain, I was hailed by at least five, of varying quality (and gender). 5 years ago, they were a lot more subtle about it. I think vientiane at least is loosening up.

One of falang's favourite watering holes, near the fountain (which should remain un-named) was crawling with Freelancers.

The tuk-tuk drivers accost you on the street with JEU SAO LAO BAW ...

Been quite open for some time. As one Laotian said to me, "We abandoned communism years before the Soviets did." Seems the old geezers running the government are the only ones who haven't realised that yet.

p.s. I was in Wiengchan BEFORE the communist takeover. You never got accosted on the streets back then, though there were some fun sit down bars with friendly ladies available for companionship. Invariably, they were run by local Vietnamese and offered both Lao and Thai girls.

Archived