Chula makes top 200

Chillers

Some interesting info for those thinking of hiring grads:

According to "the Times Higher Education Supplement", Chulalongkorn University (unranked in 2004) has placed 121 in the world university rankings 2005. This is equal place with Michigan State University (amongst others).

So go Chula! I hope they can crack the top 100 next.

Coming in first was Harvard and last place was a three way tie between The University of Florence, George Washington University, and Wake Forest University (US).

Here's a link

http://www.thes.co.uk/statistics/international_comparisons/2005/main.aspx

(Sorry - subscription needed)

No idea why. The students are brainwashed more than educated. Generally, one doesn't challenged one's lecturers and simply parrots on exams. The dress code is very strict, even to the extent of once upon a time measuring the girls' skirts to see that they weren't too short. (If they were, lecturers were instructed to reduce their marks!)

Chula is the oldest unie in Thailand and it takes about a 97% or better score on the nationwide entrance exams to get in -- unless you are the child of a prominent alumni or a politician. Thaksin's daughter got in with a much lower score than that.

I have to agree with Flashermac...Chula does definitely not deserve to be ranked that high when compared with real universities all over the world. btw, they also pay their professors crap (a friend of mine teaches there, and I teach her class on occasion as a guest lecturer), apparently the prestige of working there is supposed to be its own compensation...

preahko

I could understand why Chula makes it into the top 200 - their medical school is very good - that alone probably has lifted them considerably - its not by accident that Thailand produces so many surgeons skilled in sewing back on severed d**cks from jealous wifes handiwork, not to mention their skill in transforming guys genitals into womens parts.

No idea though about the rest of the University - but looking round MBK at lunch times - I would guess a lot of girls accept they are going to be marked down for not wearing regulation length skirts !!!

I'd be interested on how they make these decisions. My own alma mamma got dropped 72 places from the previous year! Can it have changed that much in just 12 months???

You really need to judge by faculty, not just university. Chula's medical faculty is considered tops, though I'd say Mahidol is comparable. But the recognised #1 law faculty is at Thammasat, and the TU Faculty of Commerce and Accountancy is considered best in Thailand. (The Crown Prince sent his daughter to major in law at TU, not Chula, which tells you something.)

The oldest Faculty of Liberal Arts is at TU, as is its respected BBA international programme. Also, at TU no more than 70 students in each year can major in English. At Chula there is no limit and it's not unusual to have 200 or more in each year.

Still, if you ask Thais to rank their universities, the majority would say (1) Chula, (2) Thammasat, (3) Mahidol and (4) Kasetsart. Yet if you want to become a trained teacher, you'd damn well better go to Srinakarinwirote (Prasanmit).

preahko said:

... apparently the prestige of working there is supposed to be its own compensation...

Chula used to pay 600 baht an hour for part time lecturers. But they cut it to 400 baht when they realised that many Thais would work for that just to be able to say they taught at Chula!

100% agree with your first paragraph.

About half of the people that work for me are from Chula. They all have Masters degrees and also Bachelors degrees from Chula. (The other half are from Thamassat, Mongkut, etc. All from top schools.) All have top scores from the unis.

In general, their lack of logic and analytical skills is amazing. Well below International 'standards', if there were such a thing.

The Thais that have been educated overseas are much much better. Immediately recognizable difference.

Archived