Chula makes top 200

Chillers

I disagreed. I'm thai-american(born in thailand, raised in the US).

I have master degree in engineering from a top 10 university in the US.

During my studies, I have met many thai graduated students from Chula, TU, KU, KMIT and even Chaing Mai U, who are top notch.

Thai students who get in to top public and private universities in the US are cream of crop. Certainly, the culture and attitude may be different than Farangs but their analytical ability are on par with other top students from other IVY league schools in the US.

Just for example, a group of undergradute students from KMIT won first prize in world robotic competition in Germany just a few months ago--beating out MIT, Stanford, Caltech and others. Check www.robocup.org and search for Thailand.

Another example, the engineer who designed the landing system for the first lunar landing craft for NASA was a Thai native who graduated from Chula and taught at TU. Not sure if he's still teaching there though.

Geez, I thought you were from UCB and not a sister campus. Boy, now that changes everything...

I can't imagine your university dropping that much. It has gained significantly in the last 10 years and one of the most desired and difficult of the UC shcools to get admitted. Maybe IV has risen from the dead again? Great location!

One of my two schools is listed in the 50's yet is consistently ranked in the top 15 every year among US colleges. The my other school is thought to be in the top 15 to 20 of US schools ends up at #2 one year and at #6 the next in the world. So not sure what criteria is being used?

Naafaa,

First of all, congratulations on chula making 121. That is quite an accomplishment. The best of the chula students seem to be very good but that is a small percentage of ones who come from Thai universities get actually admitted to top 50 American universities for post graduate work. The majority who go overseas go to the lower or less competitive ones in the USA. I look at the US schools recruiting here and it is a very unimpressive list...

To say that chula graduates are at the same level as IVY league schools is a bit of a overstatement. If they were, they wouldn't be ranke #121 in the world. The average chula student does not have the educational backgrounds nor the opportunities that many at top-ranked US schools have coming from college prep or excellent private/ public schools.

You would have to explain to me where they learned or gained those academic skills prior to starting at chula. Chula while it is the best of what thailand has to offer, i doubt the framework, the thought process, the environment, the mentality is much different than where they did their prep work. Or put it another way, how many students form overseas (US, europe, asia) come to chula to their undergraduate of post-graduate work? I have never heard about chula having any significant international reputation. Does it?

CB

>I'd be interested on how they make these decisions.

Exactly. Without knowing the criteria that were used in the ranking, a place or score is meaningless. 121st top university at *what* exactly? How was it calculated? Number of students graduating?, percentage graduating as compared to intake, number of fields (areas) covered? Percentage staff involved in research? Academic qualification of staff? Cost per credit? Amount of students progressing to higher degrees? Standard of teaching (however judged!)? What were the university *inclusion* criteria? What were the *exclusion* criteria? Was this by an "available data" analysis or did Universities have to supply data? What weighting was given to each factor?

-j-

Archived