One ring to bind them all ...

Flashermac

THE NATION

22 February 2006

STOPPAGE TIME

Casting call for an epic fantasy

by Tulsathit Taptim

For quite some time now, Government House has resembled Mount Doom to me, what with its fiery eye trained alternately on the Royal Plaza and Lumpini Park. But the late arrival of Chamlong Srimuang and his "Dharma Army" on the scene has heightened my already-wild sense of fantasy. With the final battle to save Middle Earth looming, here are my thoughts on which characters in "The Lord of the Rings" match, more or less, key players in Thailand's present political crisis:

The Hobbits: Our university students, who, unlike their 1970s counterparts, are by no means familiar with street protests, fit this role. Powerless, easy-going, innocent and at the receiving end of consumerism, they must temporarily forget the fun of their carefree teenage days and embark on a highly ambitious political mission. And a declaration of war against Thaksin Shinawatra by a small group of Triamudom Suksa students yesterday is a sign that this is a force that no one should underestimate.

The Nazgul (scary, menacing and faceless riders): Who are powerful and yet enslaved by Sauron the Dark Lord? A few names come to mind, including a few judges and top officials of "independent bodies", as well as of the Stock Exchange of Thailand, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Anti-Money Laundering Organisation and the Revenue Department. I would also like to add some former October activists who are close to the powers-that-be at the moment.

The Ghost Bandits of the Mountain: They owe a big debt and are forever cursed for a terrible act of betrayal from their past unless they can help a new king topple Sauron. You're thinking of Chamlong Srimuang and his die-hard followers, aren't you?

The Elves: Normally peace-loving and aloof, they must join the Fellowship of the Ring, because of the growing threat of Sauron. Is it just me, or have Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda and other privy councillors been sporting some pointy ears lately?

Boromir: Initially, the Ring's lure was too much for him, but he eventually redeemed himself by sacrificing himself for the Fellowship. Well, some of you may not totally agree, but Sondhi Limthongkul isn't a bad choice to play the role, is he?

Arwen: An inspiring Elf heroine who chooses to forsake her everlasting existence to help the man she loves fight for the Fellowship. For all that Jaruvan Maintaka has done and with her apparently close connections with the Privy Council, I'd give the role to her.

Wormtongue: This devious servant of the wizard Saruman has great manipulative powers. The name immediately reminds me of a previously powerful veteran who has only recently talked himself into big trouble. Also, Wormtongue ends up getting banished, just like our man!

The Ents (those slow, giant trees): It took quite some time for the university lecturers and NGOs to get themselves organised and united, but finally here they come. A big boost to the Sanam Luang-bound Royal Plaza movement.

The Orc army: Numerous and robotic. When conditions appear to be in their favour, they are ready to serve Sauron, come what may. But they are indeed overly panicky warriors who are set to run anytime that the enemy has the upper hand. Many of our MPs and senators are like that.

Aragorn: "A mighty human warrior who fights with passion and bravery, who wields his blade with great adeptness and who is not lured by the power of the One Ring." Somebody please help me here.

Gandalf: An inspiration for all among the forces of light. Old and wise. I'm lost again. Any ideas?

Legolas: There are two candidates for Aragorn's right-hand man. Democrats Korn Chatikavanij and Korbsak Sabhavasu have both been fast and furiously delivering stinging blows to Government House through their exposure of dubious elements in the Shin Corp takeover deal.

Gollum: "Tortured and wrought wretched by the lure of the One Ring. A withered, piteous creature, driven mad and twisted by his loss of the One Ring decades ago." Umm ... there may be too many of them around in our political scene.

Frodo: "A most unlikely hero. A Hobbit, small and quiet, but possessing a true and noble spirit." Like Aragorn, I haven't found his Thai counterpart yet. But a summary of "The Lord of the Rings" makes me optimistic that in fact, there may be a lot of potential Frodos out there. It is said that this epic story "reveals how, through courage, commitment and determination, even the least of us can change the world".

Archived