Scary experience on bus

On a bus ride recently between Chiangmai and Chiangrai, I found myself on a bus (regular not VIP) with a driver who had incredibly reckless disregard for the safety of his passengers. On this mountainous route, he was at times driving at what I estimate was 145 kilometers per hour. He was not just passing the other cars on the road, he was rocketing past them. I thought there was an excellent chance that we would all die but we got lucky.

Is there anything I can do about this? I would like to file a complaint and get this asshole fired so he can't threaten the lives of 60 people at a time in this way. Would my complaint just be laughed at and ignored?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes!! good old travelling by bus can be a great ride (not) l had a great experience coming from Phuket to Surat Thani, medium size bus, over crowded, so 3 of us had to sit on make shift chairs in the isle. The fucker driving nearly fell off the road 2 times while praying to Buddha, how the fuck it did not happen still amazes me, all l can say was thank christ for that 750 ml bottle of vodka we had on our short trip!!!!

always a risk.

Shamus

Many of the bus companies have a sign just above the driver that can be seen by passengers that has words to the effect of "if the ride is not comfortable or you experience any problems, please call the ciomnpany on <number>". I guess you didn't have a mobile but if you did have one, you could give them a call, while on the bus. It's be amusing to do it while sitting right behind the driver and saying it all in Thai...

As another posted said, the standards of driving are terrible.

Was on bus to Cambodia. Ended up sitting in the front 2 seats......now that's scary.

There is no escape from the feeling of impending doom. Looking ahead was TOO frightening. If you look to the left you can see how little time all the wheels are actually on the road. To the right you have the driver, lane-surfing, sweating profusely and cursing after his plans for some kind of motorbike-taxi style manouvre were thwarted. Whether in the lane for our side of the road or not seemed totally irrelevant to him.

At least when stuffed into a seat at the back some of this passes you buy.

Originally posted by bungie6:

"Is there anything I can do about this?"

Smile and hope for a good reincarnation.

"Would my complaint just be laughed at and ignored?"

Yes. Otherwise thousands of complaints would have to be written every day in Thailand. One big problem with Thai society is that complaints reflect more badly on the person filing them ("kee-bon!") rather than on the status quo being complained about - not a good precondition for improving things, is it.

Archived