Six weeks Sorry English is no Good ...Out you go

Torneyboy

Zaad said:

Adams167,

However, I assume your wife is Thai and, if so, it's a fair bet she speakls quite accented and ungrammatical English;

I've met both of them and the above isn't the case.

Even if it were, the OP mentioned his boy's English as being "so poor", so I'd say get the boy to speak grammatically correct first. Then work on his reading + comprehension skills.. the proper pronunciation would be step 2 or 3.

Problem is that the boy will find a way to communicate with his mom or talk to dad via his mom (in Thai) because he feels more confident doing so..which in turn affects his English ..it's easier as they say, but kids have no clue that the easiest way ain't always the best.

Should have read this post first.....Zaad 100%!!!!

Spot on.......try telling a Thai kid not to talk to his mom in Thai...

Just re-reading this Thread.

It would appear that some of you English native speaking fathers are actually using the Thai language to communicate with your children?

That's quite a mistake people!!

If you want the child to be comfortable in both languages then ONLY a Native speaker should use their own language, particularly when the child is first learing to speak, but for preference even after he is fluent in both languages (at a minimum that saves you from sounding foolish to your own offspring!) .

Paul

It definitely would, pe7e :up:

Adams167, I disagree with the "ONLY a native speaker comment".

The kid goes to school and studies the whole package there. pronunciation bla bla, the problem starts as soon as he leaves the classroom. If the boy needs improvements rather sooner than later then he needs to be involved with the lingo 24/7 and NOT use Thai at home cause that's exactly what he'll do.

One day he may even start thinking in English for short periods of time and that's IMO the big step to fluency.

Take me for example, I'm not a native speaker but I do intend to speak English with my kid once she's mastered my mother tongue (Dutch).

Although my accent isn't perfect it's not on top of the priority list.

Zaad said:

It definitely would, pe7e :up:

Adams167, I disagree with the "ONLY a native speaker comment".

The kid goes to school and studies the whole package there. pronunciation bla bla, the problem starts as soon as he leaves the classroom. If the boy needs improvements rather sooner than later then he needs to be involved with the lingo 24/7 and NOT use Thai at home cause that's exactly what he'll do.

One day he may even start thinking in English for short periods of time and that's IMO the big step to fluency.

Take me for example, I'm not a native speaker but I do intend to speak English with my kid once she's mastered my mother tongue (Dutch).

Although my accent isn't perfect it's not on top of the priority list.

I was really referring to Farang who speak Thai to their children Zaad, sorry I did not make that clear.

There is a big difference: I am sure you learnt English at school - or at least at a very young age - and are reasonably fluent in the Language. 99% of the Farang I am talking about speak really poor Thai, partly because they learnt as adults and it's not at all easy to pick up a new Language at a late stage in life.

It's a mistake, in my opinion anyway, for a Farang to use Thai to his children, not only does it sound foolish and I am almost certain causes the child some confusion when trying to lean Thai, but it gives the child an excuse not to learn English.

I have been in Thailand for nearly 35 years and speak, read and write Thai to quite a high level of fluency, however I would never even contemplate speaking Thai with my daughter - when she was born her mother (Thai) spoke to her exclusively in Thai and I in English, she is now totally bi-lingual as a result.

Paul

<<It would appear that some of you English native speaking fathers are actually using the Thai language to communicate with your children?

That's quite a mistake people!! >>

I know, but the only English speaker at home while JJ was small was me, and I was travelling a LOT, 1 year - I was gone 8 months!, 2nd year, I was gone 4 months 3 rd year I was more reliable, but by then she was fluent in Loas and Thai, and while she understood my English, she'd answer mostly to me in Thai, hence why she's going to a English school, who are doing what I can;t do

DOG

Adams167,

I see your point and I agree of course.

I also speak Thai, but far from fluent and won't use that language with my daughter. That's her mom's duty. First Dutch, then English and maybe..maybe Portuguese on a later stage if she's near fluent in the other languages.

ND,

JJ is stil very young, so if you have more time to be around her, just teach her a few words everyday, and I presume you understand her replies to you. Translate it for her in English etc..

Archived