And you complain about Thai drivers

carlton68

BBC Online

Just in case the link ain't working:

Copied from BBC Online

-----------------------------------------------

Armless man caught speeding in NZ

A man with no arms has been caught speeding at 121 km/h (75 mph), according to police in New Zealand.

The driver, who used one foot to steer and another to operate the pedals, told officers he was born with no arms but had been driving for years.

The 32-year-old had passengers in the car when he was stopped on a highway near Papamoa in the Bay of Plenty area.

Police fined the unemployed man NZ$170 (£60) and banned him from driving, local media reported.

'Shocked officer'

The driver, whose name has not been published, was going well over the speed limit of 100 km/h (60 mph) when he was stopped by police on Thursday.

Senior Constable Brent Gray approached the driver's window, saw a foot on the dashboard and noticed the seat was reclined.

Mr Gray told colleagues he thought the man had an "attitude", then noticed the driver had no arms.

"He (Mr Gray) was pretty shocked by that, as you would be," acting Senior Sgt Deirdre Lack was quoted as telling local newspaper the Bay of Plenty Times.

The driver told police he had never held a driving licence.

Ms Lack said the motorist had been a danger to fellow drivers because he was breaking the limit.

"Obviously, driving at a speed like that, arms or not, you're just waiting for an accident," she said.

-----------------------------------------------------

I revisted New Zealand this time last year, trying to Drive NZ style as against Thai style was difficult with the result I got clocked doing 120 Km / hr and a lecture from this cop about "how dangerous my speed was". Sort of made me laugh as 6 months previously I got stopped at a police road check on rd 350 to Sa Kaeo, the cop asked how fast we were going, I showed him the GPS showing a top speed of 285 Kmh. The cop responded with a laugh and told us to get on our way. It sort of sums up the policing attitudes between the different countries. In Pol Correct NZ even a modest infraction of the driving law earns you a vigiorous dressing down, Whereas here, well as long as the cop gets his 100 baht who cares?

Archived