New guy with Thai

Julian2

My suggestion is the following:

Learn the alphabet first which of course includes all of the consonants,vowels and the respective groupings of these

"symbols" Its a mind boggle to begin with but without this to begin with the "phonetc"speaking takes place and then no one will understand anything for quite a while. Eventually one forgets the rules and its all automatic.

Concentrate on the central dialect and then add on other twists (Chiang Mai ,Issan or whatever)depending upon where your GF is from :)

I can communicate pretty well in 5 languages and I found Thai the hardest...but its the most fun.

Note the better your Thai is the more people know the moment you open your mouth you "roo mahk gern bai"

This has benefits and problems as well.Thai is fascinating and truly the learning is never ending. :)

Tham sabai Na krap

Hi Julian,

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time in Laos, I've heard similar stories from mates of mine who live there. Luckily I have a Thai girlfriend so I don't have to worry about doing anything illegal, (like having a Lao GF), while I'm there.

About the war, a new museum has opened in Vientiane at the start of route 13 South. They have lots of stuff from the border war there including a captured Thai unmanned drone and bits of a Thai fighter that was shot down.. oh, and the pilot's helmet too.

I have found most sources on Lao history to be sketchy at best...

Archived