Thai word for diabetes

SpiceMan

I am abit bummed out as my best Thai bud just told me he is diabetic.I hope he can control it . He is just the best right on

human being ...Unusual mix, very high end business man and known by all of the top tier ...but super down to earth,straight and honest..I guess he should stop with the white rice...??? Diet,exercise and medication yes?

Sorry to hear about your Thai buddy. Diet and medication are the most important ways to keep diabetes under control. Diet shouldn't be extreme, just a normal healthy balance (low fat, avoid refined carbohydrates). White rice is fine in moderation.

Exercise is always good, especially if overweight. Regarding medication, your friend should see a doctor if he has not done so already. He sounds like a high flyer so I'm sure he will be able to manage his diabetes very well, once he gets used to it.

As a type 1 diabetic I have travelled around Thailand over the last few years. Most people, even in the rural villages understand the term "baa waan". They may not know the medical implications but they have heard of the disease.

Sadly Type II diabetes is definitely on the rise in LOS, probably partly as a result of our western standards being adopted. Type 1 diabetes however does not seem to be as prevalent.

Luckily it is a treatable disease. To the gent with a friend, as long as he monitors it, he should be fine. Monitoring it becomes just another thing to do, just like brushing your teeth.

Archived