2 SAMs found in sea Pattaya

BuffHello

Two live Surface-to-air missiles discovered by local fisherman.

Police Lieutenant Prajack from Banglamung Police Station was called to the Banglamung sub-district administration building in Lom Pok after a 25 year old fisherman had made an interesting discovery which required the assistance of the Police. The man was recovering his nets from the sea when he noticed two large missile shaped objects. They were in fact, two Fuze Time M84 Surface-to-air missiles. The Police Lieutenant alerted the Royal Thai Navy who will now make a sweep of the area to ensure that no further missiles are present under the sea and for now Police are continuing their investigations and the two missiles have been safely destroyed by a Royal Navy bomb disposal unit who confirmed that the two missiles were live. Police are also exploring the theory that the missiles may have been placed in the water for use at a later date.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a smart guy on military hardware but I dont recall knowing of any Manpads being designated the "M84". Do we have any resident experts on military stuff know what an M84 is? Any good links as all I have found are M84 tanks, machine guns and a timing device.

If they are no-kidding missiles then I would be concerned but if they were just rockets without an autonomous guidance then I will assume the local navy just "lost" more stuff during "rough seas".

Probably more local waffle. Anyone who dives in Thailand knows that the waters around many of the islands off pattaya and surrounding areas are *littered* with exploded and unexploded ordinance. A lot of the islands are designated as Thai Navy "live fire" areas and the amount of unexploded crap in the waters is staggering...

-j-

Reports coming out of America say that the fishermen could have innocently undermined a terrorist plot by Al Quaida. They have intelligence that there may have been a plot to strike somewhere where there was lots of water.

Actual SAMs that are radar guided are pretty big with the exception of Rapier type missiles but a Manpad which would be most useful for a terrorist type op would not be more than say 2 meters long and designed to be carried and operated by one guy.

If these things were found in a bag or some other container to protect them from the water then I would say that would not bode well for the future.

Archived