Not passed windows logo testing message?

Palatkik

I've just re-installed WinXPPro latest on a new hard disk in my computer. Now whenever I add a device via USB port I get the message The Software you are installing for this device has not passed windows logo testing....Microsoft strongly recommends you stop installing now.

Now what confuses me is that all these same USB devices, external HDD, mouse, web cam etc I installed before and never had such a message except perhaps once or twice.

Anyone know what is wrong with WinXPPro in this case?

Do you have the latest service pack?

Also, check the vendor sites for their latest device drivers.

What "build number" is the XP that you are installing? Possible that it is an older version of XP?

Last, I would give a look to MS Windows website and do a knowledge search for this issue.

I think this means that the software/hardware vendor has not paid huge fees and been gouged by Microsoft in order to put the MS certification/approval on their box, for marketing purposes, as well as have their software drivers etc appear in the Windows OS dropdown lists etc etc for updating and recognition...some see it as MS maintaining minimal good standards for hardware and software, others might see it as MS using its market dominance and "trusted" name in order to make more bucks and more bucks and more bucks and more bucks...

Generally, you shouldn't strike too many probs, but always go to the vendors website for the latest drivers as the ones in the box may be very outdated by the time you install.

Thanks guys. I tend to think along the lines mentioned that it is just M$ trying it on, but the funny thing is the same devices failing the logo test previously worked on the same Windows build and never needed vendor drivers such as external USB hard drives,mouse etc they are simply plug and play for XP.

The version of XP I use is Version 2002 Service Pack 2 (Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]) which has automatic updates enabled so should be latest I guess.

Annoying though the messages are I can just ignore them I guess.

Archived