Recommended Macintosh Repair Technician?

rickfarang

Macintosh repair.

I recall (or think I recall) a post within the past years in which reported a good experience getting quick repair of his Macintosh computer.

From all appearances (actually, sounds, as I diagnosed over the phone from the U.S.) the hard drive in my Powerbook has finally gone bad. I will only have a few days in Bangkok before going up country, and I need to get the thing repared quickly.

The two Mac stores I know of in Fortune apparently would send it out for repair, but I want to deal directly with the guy who does the repair.

Would anybody care to recommend, based on personal experience, a good place for me to take my Macintosh to have it repaired?

Hey! You dyed in the wool, Windows advocates -stop giggling!

I have a strong suspicion that the guy who runs the smaller Mac joint on the upper floor of Fortune would be amenable to swapping out the drive himself while you observe. It is a fairly trivial procedure for a technically competent guy. As long as he knows how to actually get inside a PowerBook, the actual drive exchange itself is simple. And he has the drives.

I would take care of it for you myself, but I do not have my tools, and I have not cracked recent PowerBooks.

I used to do it all the time.

:)

Is it under warranty? Otherwise maccenter.co.th is the best place to get repairs but it may cost you a little bit. If it was me I'd do it myself because swapping drives out of powerbooks is a no brainer when you have the right tool. Usually the appropriate Torx driver.

Where are you? Maccenter is out in Yanawa in Modern Home Building which is across the road from Central Rama III.

You could trust the folks at Copperwired

Which model powerbook is it?

I wish you success in getting a quick and reasonably-priced repair for your Mac, but this is one area where users of non-Mac desktops and laptops can rest comfortably with a wry smile on their faces :: as we aren't burdened with proprietry hardware that is harder to come across and then costs an arm and a leg when it is located. I've still got an early model Powerbook, given to me and worth a lot in its day, that didn't have a mouse...Mac dealers all around the city could only sell me the cheapest mouse for AUD$50, something really only worth $5 max, or a better one with scroller for $189.50 :o ::. I bought neither and put the Mac back in its carrybag and that's where it remains today!

Don't get me wrong, Powerbooks are just brilliant hardware, super-powerful, lightweight, classy design and all that, but sadly, they remain Apples... :p: :beer:

Hardware is hardware, whether we are talking about a Mac or a PC.

At the hardware level, all that you are really talking about where a Mac is concerned is a computer which is built to a higher standard of fit and finish. And absolutely, you need the correct tools to crack the case, and to get into the machine. The correct tools vary by machine. A real Mac technician knows what is needed. But for that matter, any competent computer technician will have the correct tools. He may not have experience swapping out drives in a PowerBook, but if he is good, and has a deft touch, he should be fine. There are take-apart tutorials for most Macs posted on the internet. Google is your friend.

Once you are inside the machine, it is a simple matter to set hard drive jumpers correctly and attach the cable. You simply pull the old drive, save the screws, and install the new drive.

When you start the machine, you boot off the CD that came with it. You format the new drive. You install MacOS. Then you get on with life.

If you are talking about USB mice, then any USB mouse will work with a Mac that supports USB. The built in Apple drivers will support it. If you need functionality that the Apple driver does not deliver, then there is very good third-party software available for download via the internet. The website www.versiontracker.com will vector you in.

If you are talking about ADB (Apple Desktop Bus), then, yes, that is a proprietary Apple standard, and you will need to use an ADB mouse. If you are using a Mac of this vintage, it is time to 'fess up some dollars and buy a modern-era Mac. They are glorious machines. And MacOS X is utterly the shit.

You're dead right, there's a bit more after-market stuff to choose from now, but I do remember going straight home to eBay back then and trying to just source a cheap after-market Mac mouse only to find that the p&p on the advertised price made them the same $50 price as from the Mac dealer...grrrrrrrr

Thank you for the encouragement, and also for pointing out a couple of possible repair places. With respect to the "smaller shop" in Fortune, are you talking about the guy closest to the escalator?

The powerbook is about 4 years old -no warranty here. I've opened it before (though the case got a little bent up in the process!), but I doubt that I have the right drivers to remove the drive, and besides, I don't have time to mess around changing jumpers, etc (assuming there are jumpers).

Opinions on Mac:

Probably not any better nor worse than the other major brands. Macs are often made in the same Chinese and Korean factories that make their competitors' computers and monitors (it used to be Japanese, Singaporean, and Italian factories).

I've got a 1200 baht Logitech optical mouse and a 200 baht knock-off. Aside from the logo, they are the same to me. I have several modern Apple USB mice, all in a drawer. They are hard for me to use, but too beautiful to throw away.

Now that Apple (finally!) supports USB 2.0 and DVI, we aren't locked in to the premium peripherals as we used to be. I have bought my last Firewire peripheral.

The guy near the escalator?

Not wanting to upset the cardigan wearers with elbow patches and the pipe-smokers, what can a Mac do that a Windows O/S can't do and do it for 1/3 of the cost???

All that cutting-edge technology, stunning good looks etc yet hardly any software of worth, except boring old Quark, Pagemaker et al... :: :stirthepo

Archived