Crackdown on Internet Cafes in Chiang Mai

Those cesspools of vice, internet cafes, are now being closed by the police at midnight in Chiang Mai. I know that many of the owners of these cafes barely get by, and many are accustomed to having people surfing until 4 AM and even later. Is this happening in Bangkok too?

Today in Santitham the cafes are dark. I asked why and was told something about "tamruat" closing them.

When I saw the title of this thread, I though you were talking about the Microsoft crackdown on illegal copies of their OS. About 3 months ago, microsoft was going around to all the internet cafes in Chiang Mai, and forcing owners to cough up, I think it was like 1200B, for each computer that was using a copied version of the Windows OS. Dunno how successful they were. One Thai friend ran a shop and she always seemed to get word before they were in the area and she'd shut down for the rest of the day.

I think the gov't is concerned about kids playing too much video games, rather than internet usage, and the shops tend to offer both. BTW, nothing like that going on in Pattaya. Still quite a few shops open 24H.

quote:

Originally posted by bungie6:

Those cesspools of vice, internet cafes, are now being closed by the police at midnight in Chiang Mai. I know that many of the owners of these cafes barely get by, and many are accustomed to having people surfing until 4 AM and even later. Is this happening in Bangkok too?

Today in Santitham the cafes are dark. I asked why and was told something about "tamruat" closing them.

Think more Thai males are addicted to their computer games than they are to Yaa-ba. Shutting the cafes may reduce this somewhat but I think it is taking things a bit far. A ban on them screaming like girls every two seconds though would be extremely welcome smile.gif" border="0

I am sure it is just to keep the kids out of sight late at night but a rule banning kids after a crtain hour would certainly make things easier on the owners. Still open until all hours in Nonthaburi

Last week a local from Chiang Mai died at the keyboard whilst playing one of these shoot em up games in an Internet/Games cafe. Doctors said he suffered heart failure due to the stress of playing the game....he had been playing for something like 18 hours!!!

I guess this is behind the shutdowns.

Cheers

Occasionally get offered free water whilst typing but have never been given free speed with my 25 baht internet hour. Am I going to the wrong places or should I just complain to my shop owner ?? smile.gif" border="0

Archived