Home Theatre Systems - best buy places?

Palatkik

Looking around the likes of Paragon, Central etc I notice prices of home entertainment systems are similar in each but also priced higher than in other countries e.g 30 per cent mark up on digital cameras and movie cams.

Can anyone suggest a good place to shop for a Home Theatre Systems and also a medium sized flat display TV either LCD or plasma? Not really sure what the choices are so any suggestions welcomed:-)

Palatkik, your experience resembles mine; buy nice stuff in Thailand means you'll end up with last years model and pay twice as much as this years model offered in other countries. There is hardly price or availability variance so shopping around doesn't do anything to solve this. You've also got the issue that UBC does not broadcast wide screen TV; so you'll spend most of your time watching their crappy picture that doesn't even fit your panel. My strategy is stick with cheap 19" mono TV for home and go to the plush theatres with great screens and digital surround for movies.

I have got a Panasonic 37" 'Vierra' Plasma TV which when I brought it was considered by the review mags as about the best of the Plasma TV's - it cost 200,000 baht 18 months ago when I bought it, but you can now get the same TV with a Panasonic DVD player and 5 speaker surround system for 89,000 baht. Picture and sound are great (I also paid extra for the surround system that they now include for free).

The smaller ones are not much cheaper - i.e 20" seems to be around 50,000 baht so I'd say better off with the 37" - the 42" is now 109,000 baht. Similar prices for all the main brands, except the Sony Bravia I think is more expensive.

Cheers

Thanks for suggestions, will certainly check out Siam Discovery now as I haven't looked in there yet. The UBC display could be a problem?

I am mainly looking for a good TV display for my DVD's and watching UBC rather than good sound system as where I live is noisy anyway, but likely budget no more than 80-100k for all most of which would go on display.

whosyourdaddy said:

Everyone at my place of work buy from siam discovery center 3rd floor. Have some great deals.

Went to same place maybe, was a Sony center. Got a good price there compared Central etc, then double checked at the Silom Sony Center near Soi Convent and got a further 5kB reduction. Not great stuff, but will do for now:-)

My most appreciated piece of home entertainment equipment.

a DVR (generic TIVO)

i use the DVR more than any applaince I have ever owned.

it's over 3 years old now & has been 90% problem free.

mine does not have a DVD burner to archive .. wish it did.

as long I delete enough programing to keep the HD from becoming 'full' ..

?? .. if the drive 'over flows' MY dvr locks .. unplug reboot required.

but it has always returned to full function after the unplug reboot.

returning from a trip with all of Jay's monologues, all of Jon's & Stephen's insanity waiting + the last hour of Imus ..

TV jet lag recovery heaven.

• 2 weeks later...
texascity said:

My most appreciated piece of home entertainment equipment.

a DVR (generic TIVO)

i use the DVR more than any applaince I have ever owned.

it's over 3 years old now & has been 90% problem free.

mine does not have a DVD burner to archive .. wish it did.

as long I delete enough programing to keep the HD from becoming 'full' ..

?? .. if the drive 'over flows' MY dvr locks .. unplug reboot required.

but it has always returned to full function after the unplug reboot.

returning from a trip with all of Jay's monologues, all of Jon's & Stephen's insanity waiting + the last hour of Imus ..

TV jet lag recovery heaven.

Interesting. I'm looking for a way to have my tehcnical illiterate FIL record series off the TV, burn them to a DVD and send them to me.

What do you suggest and how much will it set me back?

I were thinking about a DVD recorder, either with a HD or straight to DVD, but want something that is easy to use/program.

• 1 month later...
Palatkik said:

Looking around the likes of Paragon, Central etc I notice prices of home entertainment systems are similar in each but also priced higher than in other countries e.g 30 per cent mark up on digital cameras and movie cams.

Can anyone suggest a good place to shop for a Home Theatre Systems and also a medium sized flat display TV either LCD or plasma? Not really sure what the choices are so any suggestions welcomed:-)

Was shopping around for a plasma and amplifier/speakers a few months back and at that time they had some good promotions at the home pro on wireless.

Archived