going to Philippine any advice?

Hi guys,

I'm going to phils manila,palawan,sebu(spelling?) Manila is safe for a girl? I mean if I can hang out alone in the night? I know is more suitable for guys.If your guys have ben there please give me suggestion.Thank you

Not sure what you're asking here...do you want to visit the Philippines with a current girl friend, or do you want to find one there? In either case, there are pros/cons to visiting the places you mentioned. Safety is a big issue for first-time visitors to the Philippines...Manila is a far more dangerous city than Bangkok, though not as bad as most big US cities. Cebu City is a safer place to visit, but can be more expensive for sanuk than other places outside Manila. Angeles City is a great place for sanuk, but very little else. If you're bringing a girl with you, Palawan is a good place, but if you're alone you may have trouble finding a companion there.

Lots of sites with BBS on the Web about the Philippines...

Well, at least in Manila you wouldn't feel

safe walking around at night by yourself.

My suggestion would be for you to ask the

hotel to arrange for a taxi and have that

taxi both drop you off and pick you up after

dark.

Hope you'll have a good time there.

Jim in Az

Hi 007. Only been once but would never go back. Generally speaking, I found it dirtier, and much less interesting culturally than Thailand. The girls (the ones in the trade) are very warm, but less attractive as a group than Thai girls and more inhibited. I prefer the Buddhist attitude to the Catholic. Phillipine girls all seem to want to get married. As to safety, be careful. I disagree that it is safer than most US cities, but that's probably because I don't know my way around there. Safety for women at night? I wouldn't go out on a limb. The cab drivers there can be downright evil and don't back down as easily as Thai drivers. Just my limited experience anyway.

Chicago Dave

hi,

well, i guess the former poster didn't realise

that you are a girl

<<I'm going to phils manila,palawan,sebu(spelling?) Manila is safe for a girl? I mean if I can hang out alone in the night>>

no,i don't think it is save for a girl to hang out alone at night in the pi,especialy not in manila or downtown cebu.i was advised by the hotelstuff not to leave my hotel at nighttime in manila and i'am not a girl wink.gif" border="0palawan looked saved to me when i visited the place, but did you read about the kidnapping

of a group of tourist by the abu sajaf (moslem rebells)straight from their beach resort which happened there about two mounth ago?

i also read a report two weeks ago that tourists were robbed on boracay island,which was pretty safed before.

my advice for you would be to be very carefull over there,don't walk around alone at nighttime,take a taxi even for the shortest distances and try to stick to other tourist when going out.avoid places in the south where the moslem rebelles are active.

try to get out of manila soon as possible,there isn't much to see either.

chock dee and have a nice trip.

cyberbeno4

Went there once a few years ago when it was probably safer than it is now, wouldn't go again. The people I was staying with advised me against going out alone due to kidnap threats, muggings, etc.

Sorry, 007, I wasn't sure whether you were a female or not - couldn't tell from your profile - but regardless, I thought you might be interested in meeting PI ladies during your trip. (Can't imagine why else someone would want to go over there. Sorry to any Philipinos/as out there, but its just not that pleasant. I'm sure it was once.)

My advice would be about the same for man or woman...please be careful. PI is not LOS.

Cheers. Chicago Dave

quote:

Originally posted by chicago dave:

Sorry, 007, I wasn't sure whether you were a female or not - couldn't tell from your profile - but regardless, I thought you might be interested in meeting PI ladies during your trip. (Can't imagine why else someone would want to go over there. Sorry to any Philipinos/as out there, but its just not that pleasant. I'm sure it was once.)

Dave, did you happen to do any type of report or diary of why your visit was negative?

You can, if so inclined, intergrate much easier with the PHilippine people than the Thai IMHO. I don't mess around that much with the other "guys", prefering to mingle and get to know the locals. There is a certain joy in the Philippine girls. If you only hang out in bars and barfine, you are missing the real Philippines. I would say that I do prefer Thailand but will always visit the PHilippines as well when ever possible.

regards,

Nok

My advice would be about the same for man or woman...please be careful. PI is not LOS.

Cheers. Chicago Dave

Didn't realize at first that poster oo7 is supposed to be female. After looking at all recent posts by oo7, I most respectfully say that I doubt her professed gender and nationality. However, since I'm frequently wrong, I will apologize for misinterpreting the originally stated request, and offer this recommandation. Visit an Asia or DK bookstore, and look for the travel section. The Lonely Planet guide to "Philippines" and the Moon handbook "Philippines" both offer advice on security to women travelling alone. Good Luck!

Hi NokTang. I don't have a trip report. Its been a couple of years. And, I'm glad to read about your opinion because that tells me that I only saw part of the story.

No, I didn't go over there just to find sanuk. There were some biz reasons.

Admittedly, I had a couple of bad experiences with taxi drivers there that I never had in Thailand. There also seemed to be an air of resentment that I never felt in LOS.

I don't know. I feel more comfortable with Thais for some reason. And, honestly, I just felt like, at night especially, I had to keep on my toes more so than I do when I get to Bangkok. Just me, I guess. Chicago Dave

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: chicago dave ]

Archived