going to Philippine any advice?

From what I can gather, oo7 you are not only female but also Thai. So, unlike a farang male, you will not be immediately noticed as a foreigner on the streets. Still, in Manila or Cebu, you should be very careful, especially at night, as the Philippines is a much poorer country than Thailand. If people recognize you as a tourist they will know you have money and you could be a potential target for thieves.

But don't let this put you off. The Filipino people are generally very warm and kind hearted. As an Asian female you will get a lot of attention and curiosity about your country.

I've been to all the places you mentioned and I would especially recommend Palawan. If you're not staying in an expensive, isolated resort you should be safe. There are many interesting sights on the island, including the underground river (the longest in the world), great beaches, rain forests, and many other places worth going to. In the main town of Puerto Princessa, I would recommend staying at Puerto Pension. You can check their website here: http://www.palawan.net/pension/index.html. It's very clean, friendly, not expensive and the staff will help you with transportation and sight-seeing.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time.

quote:

Originally posted by HongKongBoy:

In the main town of Puerto Princessa, I would recommend staying at Puerto Pension. You can check their website here:
It's very clean, friendly, not expensive and the staff will help you with transportation and sight-seeing.

HongKongBoy, thanks for the link...the period for the sentence in which you supplied the link got pulled into the link itself...here's the link without it:

Puerto Pension

Hi, I'd recommend you get on the ICQ and talk to some people over there ahead of time. I had a very short trip to Manila last month and the place seemed pretty safe (for a guy at least). Puerta Princessa I was at a few years back and it was fine, even a vist to the prison was no worrys. Ya, get on the ICQ maybe you can find someone to hook up with over there.

I popped over to Manila from Bangkok for 3 days to have a look...more backward than I thought. I was out at night in a tourist area and wandered round some of backstreet shopping streets too. You've got to remember how poor these people are, and walking around as a well-dressed Westerner is like big meal for a very hungry person - temptation. I was with a Filipino and that's safer, but I'd seriously be watching my step without a weapon or any back-up. The people really stare at you wherever you are, but they're shyer than the Thais so an accompanying smile is not always present. Sometimes you don't know if they're staring out of curiosity or out of resentment though when out in the streets.

Hi Guys,

Thank you smile.gif" border="0Now I can picture manilla pretty well.However I think I will spend only a night in manila then leave to palawan so exciting to get there smile.gif" border="0

Archived