Info on Kuwait.

Solomick

Well the self inflicted torture in Angola draws to an end.

I have one week left then it's back to the land of cheese.

:)

I have just been offered a contract in Kuwait and I have a small problem. Is it dry or not?

The first part of the job is set up on land and I have to say that after a hard day telling everybody else what to do I need a drink.

The job sounds excellent but if not allowed to drink after work this would really take the shine off it. :(

Offshore I never mind or miss it because that is just generally the rule but on land I have a principle of never excepting a job in a dry country.

Any info from guy's thats been there and know the score would be great.

cheers

Dry, dry and drier!

When you fly in, they x-ray your bags and remove any booze.

It is avilable on the black market.

The US military compounds that I was on only had near beer, zero alcohol.

Not a fun place. I know that folks bring in malt, etc and brew their own as a work around.

Good news, it's not Kuwait it's UAE.

See this is what happens when a Dutch mans got a map.

Stupid company don't even know what fucking country there suposed to be senting me.

This is why Limbo still thinks he lives in Cambodia. :neener:

Shardja UAE

Think it's next to dubai?

Still need info, please.

Sharjah is close to Dubai and close to Abu Dhabi.

Drinks to be had in all bars and decent restaurants, as well as hotels.

Lived there in the 80s, so no clue on shopping or sanuk, but I liked the place.

Easy peasy driving to all places, but beware of the speedbumbs.......

BB

Dubai is OK.

Lots of good food and drink to be had.

It used to be the "Highlands" part of Dubai where the ladies were to be found but most pubs have many ladies available to entertain you. Prices are not cheap, but there is an endless selection of ladies from all over the world!

....so I heard <wink, wink> ::

Sharjah is dry :(

But adjacent to Dubai which isn't :D

However if you want to drink at home you'll have to buy booze from liquor stores that require you to show a license - issued to non-Muslims only - and that license is only valid in the Emirate in which it is issued. And since Sharjah is dry.......... ::

Well this is something you need to investigate. I'd guess there are ways around this as I had a friend who resided in Sharjah (housing being cheaper) but had a Dubai liquor license.

-redwood

Hi red,

I am sure mick will soon find his way around and the fact that Sharjah itself is dry is no problem at all in practice. It is not a very big place, so easy to get out/go through/bypass.

Dubai has everything you might want, although a bit pricey - especially for accomodation. Traffic is bad too.

Khwai

Archived