We demand the right to sneak in!!!

Flashermac

Mexico Threatens Suits Over Guard Patrols

By MARINA MONTEMAYOR, Associated Press Writer

16 May 2006

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico - Mexico said Tuesday that it would file lawsuits in U.S. courts if National Guard troops on the border become directly involved in detaining illegal migrants.

Mexican border officials also said they worried that sending troops to heavily trafficked regions would push illegal migrants into more perilous areas of the U.S.-Mexican border to avoid detection.

President Bush announced Monday that he would send 6,000 National Guard troops to the 2,000-mile border, but they would provide intelligence and surveillance support to Border Patrol agents, not catch and detain illegal immigrants.

"If there is a real wave of rights abuses, if we see the National Guard starting to directly participate in detaining people ... we would immediately start filing lawsuits through our consulates," Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez told a Mexico City radio station. He did not offer further details.

Mexican officials worry the crackdown will lead to more deaths. Since Washington toughened security in Texas and California in 1994, migrants have flooded Arizona's hard-to-patrol desert and deaths have spiked. Migrant groups estimate 500 people died trying to cross the border in 2005. The Border Patrol reported 473 deaths in the fiscal year ending Sept. 30.

In Ciudad Juarez, Julieta Nunez Gonzalez, local representative of the Mexican government's National Immigration Institute, said Tuesday she will ask the government to send its migrant protection force, known as Grupo Beta, to more remote sections of the border.

Sending the National Guard "will not stop the flow of migrants, to the contrary, it will probably go up," as people try to get into the U.S. in the hope that they could benefit from a possible amnesty program, Nunez said.

Juan Canche, 36, traveled more than 1,200 miles to the border from the southern town of Izamal and said nothing would stop him from trying to cross.

"Even with a lot of guards and soldiers in place, we have to jump that puddle," said Canche, referring to the drought-stricken Rio Grande dividing Ciudad Juarez and El Paso, Texas. "My family is hungry and there is no work in my land. I have to risk it."

Some Mexican newspapers criticized President Vicente Fox for not taking a stronger stand against the measure, even though Fox called Bush to express his concerns.

A political cartoon in the Mexico City newspaper Reforma depicted Bush as a gorilla carrying a club with a flattened Fox stuck to it.

Fox's spokesman, Ruben Aguilar, said Tuesday that Mexico accepted Bush's statement that the sending in the National Guard didn't mean militarizing the area. He also said Mexico remained "optimistic" that the U.S. Senate would approve an immigration reform "in the interests of both countries."

Aguilar noted that Bush expressed support for the legalization of some immigrants and implementation of a guest worker program.

"This is definitely not a militarization," said Aguilar, who also dismissed as "absolutely false" rumors that Mexico would send its own troops to the border in response.

Bush has said sending the National Guard is intended as a stopgap measure while the Border Patrol builds up resources to more effectively secure the border.

In Nuevo Laredo, across from Laredo, Texas, Honduran Antonio Auriel said he would make it into the U.S.

"Soldiers on the border? That won't stop me," he said. "I'll swim the river and jump the wall. I'm going to arrive in the United States."

Its too late Flashermac. Learn spanish. No joke. Its too late to do anything, whether you are for or against the whole thing.

Personally, I think too many of us have an easier life due to illegal immigration but want it curbed and no one wanted to make the hard choices years ago and this is the result, right or wrong.

The economy in a lot of states are now based on cheap labor from the south.

The only possible way I can see the U.S. doing anything about stopping people from coming across is if, God forbid, we have a domestic terrorist strike again, that was proven to have occured from someone coming in from the southern border. Save that, it will always be porous.

Its a poltical non starter. No one has the political will to stop it. Just like in Florida. Our whole policy towards Cuba is antiquated and based solely on the Cuban American community in Florida and now that, that state is now pivotal in national elections it will always be that way.

Local banks in LA now routinely accept Mexican ID cards and driver's license in lieu of American based documentation. They are not gonna deprive themselves of that huge market. Mortgage companies are next. Money is always at the root of anything. Scholls don't make you prove citizenship and state universities give lower in state tuition to undocumented if they can prove they live in the state which their HS diploma does.

I know more Thai than Spanish but I'm gonna change that. I really am. I'm going with the flow.

This is one of the biggest problems facing the U.S. On one hand you have the issue of a massive influx of undereducated, resource absorbing, law breaking, "imigrants". On the other hand you have companies that want to lower wages and benefits. This is a blend that will do nothing but continue to degrade quality of life in the U.S.

Bush wants to continue to replace U.S. workers with lower paid less skilled workers. The goal being to increase profits and create a two tiered society of rich and poor. The tired arguement that they do jobs citizens won't do is rediculous. Rememer "the trades" carpenters, plumbers, tile setters, masons, electrictions ect. Well these trades are decimated. Once these trades where respected "working man" jobs. They where trades passed on by fathers to sons and learned over years of appretiships or through trade schools. They paid living wages and allowed the workers to buy houses, cars, and educate their kids, and to contribute to the economy. Now these trades have been religated to unskilled labor, with comenserate lower wages. And even these lower wages are being sent out of the country never to injected into the economy and create more jobs ect ect.

There is no simple solution. But securing the boaders and enforcing existing laws would be a good start. America is built on imigrants and it is foolish to think that we should or could stop this tradition. But it needs to be done in a managed way. The laws need to be changed to allow an eaiser path for those that want to come here and "become" Americans. Not just some hired cheap labor, with no long term desire to build a future.

I came across an editorial in the paper that is about the simplest and most concise discription of what is going on currently.

"Burglars have been breaking into my home and stealing my precription medicines, my children's school books and my cash, so I called the police. The burglars hadn't left yet because my home is very inviting. When the police arrived I explained the situation to them. The police began to question the burglars and the burglars explained that the where actualy illegal house guests. The police accepted this expanation and told me that I was just dispalying prejudice against the burglars. Justice is truly blind. "

Seens to me this is pretty spot on.

For sure not an easy fix.

I know, first hand, of illegals working on ranches in Texas...because they are the only ones that will do the work and they are paid good! like in tax free, $12/hour, with lodging included. They work 12 hours a day, six days a week.

They send a tidy sum of $$$ back to Mexico every month.

One of the issues with the trades, yes, it used to be handed down from father to son...then the EEOC appeared and minorities had to be hired and that ended the handing down of many trades.

I have seen, close and personal, how big companies (like GE) eliminate USA jobs and send them out of the USA...GE accounting, was donw in Ft. Myers Florida...now done in India...The GE Hot Line was in Virginia...now in Canada...the GE employee hot line, was in Indiana...now in India.

Last go around a few years ago, GE laid off a few thousands USA employees and within weeks, the GE top management split a $385M bonus between themselves...hmmmm...where did the $385M come from???

Yes, the USA will soon be a two class society; rich and poor! maybe not in my lifetime but soon...IMO. ::

OK,OK off the topic but a great story to come out of the UK this Week.

5 African cleaners who had worked at the UK's Immigration Offices (responsible for chucking out illegals) were arrested for being......................ILLEGALS .............. :rotfl:

they had worked under the noses of those responsible for catching them for a few Years.......... :doah:

People say TIT..........this is a case of This Is England

Archived