Decomposing DVD's?

Lusty

Some of the DVD's I've bought on previous trips to LOS are starting to stick and depixelate part way through the film.They played fine in the beginning::.

I dont keep them in any extremes of heat or cold.Do they start to decompose after time?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

If I copy the disc,the copy will play fine?

Over to you Carlton.

Lusty,

if you have Nero Burning Rom on your computer you will have a tool Nero CD-DVD Speed. Use it to test the DVD. If this doesn't show any problems try the discs on a different player.

These DVDs are 'made in chinese backyards' complete with cover and everything? Are these DVD-5 or DVD-9 (one or two layer)?

Single layer.

What I've started doing is as soon as I get them home now I make a copy via dvd decrypt

Never have any problems once their on a Datawrite classic grey or their yellow version.

Whilst we're at it,I bought some music dvd's this trip BUT my drive(s) couldn't detect that they were present(message;no disc present)so I couldn't copy them,BUT they play fine in my Sony DVD player which is quite fussy about what it plays.

The bottom line is,some discs play on anything,some discs wont play on anything,some discs play on my DVD player but not on my PC and visa versa,some discs can be copied by one drive and not the other and visa versa and all the permutations in between.

Even some copied CD's wont play in my car but will play on my PC,DVD or will play in my car and and.........::

Just took out the few DVDs i got in indonesia.

Started testing them. They do just fine. Though the plastik cases do fall apart...

' The bottom line is,some discs play on anything,some discs wont play on anything,some discs play on my DVD player but not on my PC and visa versa,some discs can be copied by one drive and not the other and visa versa and all the permutations in between.'

Originals featuring copy protection tend to make more problems than their not-so-original cousins.

Are you a smoker? If yes, do you own the drives/players for quite a while or are they new?

Read a report from a German scientist, that he did a study and found that CD (DVDs?) will fail after a few years.

He found that the "store bought" (legal) ones are "burned" deeper and last longer than the pirate or ones that you can burn at home.

I have found that my early DVD player will not play some DVDs while a newer and much cheaper one will play everything.

Now using a Samsung $39 DVD player and it works OK.

Also a mixed bag on trying to copy a DVD. Sometimes will copy OK, but nothing to do with copy protection, just what was originally burned on to the DVD.

Usually if I can make a copy, it will play as good or better than the original.

Cheers!

Mike

Archived