Da Vinci Lack of Subtitles

the_numbers

I saw Da Vinci Code at a packed house last evening, but had a larger problem than the black screen insert at the beginning by the Royal Thai Police stating that it is 'not a true story' or the fact the movie was loooooooong and too talky.

Thai subtitle staff made a big error when they decided to only translate the large chunks of the film in French and Latin into Thai i.e. NO english subtitles :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

I saw many a puzzled 'farang' rubbernecking and realizing the best they could do is complain and get their ticket price back. I was in the same boat and just read the Thai subs as best I could (I understand not an option for most).

It wasn't impossible to follow because it is just one of those basically chase, cop, thriller films, but it totally compromises the movie to not have it translated. It is really *shit* they didn't get english subs on a blockbuster film like this, and it does make it impossible for viewers to understand chunks of the film including what may be the first ever cell phone call in cinema history to be conducted in Latin. Caveat Emptor!

Best,

the numbers

Typical anglophile arrogance.

Who are you to demand that all movies here have to be shown with english subtitles for each and every word one of you cretins may not understand?

Serves you right too for going to watch a shite movie. I mean, do you really not understand that movies like this one or MI3 are only made to make the studios money and have zero qualities whatsoever? You paid your Bt100, you served your function. And how hard could it possibly be to follow the "plot" of a Tom Hanks vehicle?

Get a grip.

Au contrare... This film is certainly not a Tom Hanks vehicle, which is a fact I want to point out to my Hollywood hating fellow board member. To say that would imply it was crafted around Tom Hanks and his swagger and box office draw, no.... He's just in the film fumbling through the Louvre with longer hair and 'Opie' directing.

The Da Vinci Code didn't need Tom Hanks given the controversy surrounding it and the widespread popularity of the book, it seems it just needed a better script (I didn't read it, and feel more glad I did not after this film :down:)

I will agree that I was certainly expecting a shite film, but how can you giggle at the platitudes and bad dialogue when they don't sort your Latin and 'Frog' out on the screen.

The censors must be happy :doah: as the film turned out more incomprehensible to an English audience (no subtitles) than they could've possibly accomplished by bookending it with bible verses. I don't think there assertion it wasn't a true story at the beginning was quite enough.

Anglophile Here.. the numbers

P.S. Many Thais I know prefer to watch English language films with English subtitles because all the slang and even general phrasing/meaning often gets massacred in the Thai translation. It is easier for them to follow and get the jokes.

2 topics here: the TERRIBLE English and Thai subtitles found on screens and dvds. (no question of that)

Regarding this movie, I agree it would have been helpful to have English subtitles on the French and Italian parts. But, also, I agree that I was still able to follow along fairly well without them, because these sections were mostly during the action/detective sequences and not on the philosophical stuff.

However, the original print of the film should have them anyway for American audiences. I wonder why they didn't just use it and add the Thai subtitles to that?

And also, I must admit that I automatically discount any criticism of a film from somebody who hasn't seen it. (colorwolf) You book burners and the like get no respect from me. And your bungled assertions (which are guaranteed considering you have no knowledge of what you are spouting about) do no good to your reputation with anybody who reads them.

Archived