Tap the Amsterdam Keg of Knowledge

I am after some information on Amsterdam as I will be there in mid-October and have no clue what to expect.

I've done all the internet research with mixed results, and would appreciate some reports of first had experiences. You know, accommodation, clubs, hidden attractions, things to watch out for, Highlights, lowlights. Costs would also be helpful.

Regards,

SM

I like Holland. But not as much as Thailand for Sanuk.

In my experience, the Amsterdam scene in pretty antiseptic. Window prostitutes are all business. Priced by the particular services you want and with the clock running. When I was there last winter, I believe going rate was about $35 to get laid.

Much seedier, a little cheaper, and in my opinion more fun are windows in Den Haag (The Hague), about a 30 minute train ride from Amsterdam. Within a couple blocks of train station there are a couple of streets with Africans of all ages and sizes, a few locals and other Europeans. If you like sleaze, you'll find it here!

And if you like to smoke herb, Holland really can't be beat!!

There is a bar scene, but not as friendly as Thailand and more likely to get ripped off.

I went into a couple, but never partook of female services. Some gorgeous women looking to hit you up for expensive drinks and then a trip upstairs.

I traveled to Holland a couple of times before I ever visited Thailand. And I have friends in US who still go to Holland for sex. But to me, there is no comparison. Give me the LOS any day!!

The only reason I would go to the dam is the ganga mon! Oh & what a reason , I can't wait . But seriously LOS is the land of love . never been to Amsterdam so don't listen to anything I say. smile.gif" border="0

I have been to Amsterdam many times and it is a wonderful city. As far as the sex, nothing like Thailand. Sure, they have the windows that everyone knows about and they have the shows but it is not the same if you are using Thailand as a comparison. It seems much more mechanical and expensive also. However, like Bigkev said, they have the red-light areas in many of the other cities in the Netherlands and I have met some friendly girls behind the windows in some of the smaller places. The nightlife in Amsterdam is great and the Dutch really love to have a good time. I noticed that no matter where I was it seemed that I was never more than 50 feet from a beer. Accomodation, compared to the rest of northern Europe is probably a little more expensive in Amsterdam. Public transportation is a little confusing but once you figure it out you can get anywhere on a train, tram or bus. Remember that if you will be out late that the trains do stop running around 12:30a-1a depending on where you are going. Pannekoeken met spek (pancakes with bacon) and patats met saus/mayonaise - two of the most delicious things in the Netherlands. Beers are samller than most but many places do have pint size glasses if you ask. The small ones are easy to drink though and, yes, there is supposed to be that much foam in the glass. I don't know your nationality but the Dutch generally drink using "the round" system when in a group i.e everyone takes turns buying for the group instead of just going to the bar and getting one for yourself. The first beer someone gives you may be a friendly gesture but if you get more than that, your turn to buy is coming up. 2 for 1 happy hour means that if you ask for 1 beer you will be handed 2; ask for 2 and you get 4, etc. Dutch women are beautiful, friendly and you can talk to them about virtually anything without worrying about offending them. They are also very straight forward and will tell you if they think that you are an asshole. Dutch people are incredible with languages and speak better English than some native English speakers. However, be polite and ask if they speak it first just so that can say "Yes, I speak a little" and then proceed to explain bionuclearphysics to you without missing a beat. Alstublieft is please and a few other things; Dank U is thank you. At least learn these two. Heineken is much better fresh from the tap in Amsterdam than anywhere else you will ever have it. If you go the Heineken museum and time it just right, you can drink quite a bit of beer there for free. If you can say "achtentachtig prachtige grachten in Scheveningen" properly, it is possible that even a Dutch person will be impressed. I'll stop rambling now. Maybe I will think of some info that is actually useful later.

Amsterdam, for people with a European horizon, is heaven. Sexy, druggy, quite exotic but almost everyone speaks English and you can always get a Big Mac with no trouble. For people with a global horizon, it's pretty ordinary.

I went out with a Dutch girl for 5 years and visited the country on many occasions. I get quite a lot of "nudge nudge wink wink" style comments when I tell people this, but, in my experience most Dutch people (particularly away from the Cities) are really quite dull, they hate Amsterdam and all the debauched tourists that flock there. They are, however the most tolerant people I have ever met and believe that if you want to partake in "those sorts of goings on" then you should be allowed to.

Chronic generalisations, but I guess my point is that Holland is not racy like Amsterdam. Amsterdam can be racy like Amsterdam. The wider Holland is calm, tranquil, serene and at times beautiful. And, to be frank, dull.

As for Sanuk, as I said I did go out with a Dutch girl...

BE

Bangkok envy,

I was talkin to people at work today about how nice it would be to have intellectual conversation with a dutch girl .Where did you meet her , i need some help ( in more ways than 1 ). shocked.gif" border="0

I've been to Amsterdam at least half a dozen times and I think it's an amazing place.

The sex scene is totally different to Bangkok in a very seedy sort of way. If you like things seedy, you'll have a ball. The sex shows are brilliant, the atmosphere in the red light area is incredible (the drug dealers can get on your nerves a bit), the coffee shops and bars are very friendly I always found, and the peep shows and sex shops are so unbelievably depraved as to be exhilirating. I love the place - always have done.

For a few days away with a bunch of drinking mates, it beats Bangkok hands down.

Archived