Holy Cow T E R R O R in his eyes!

Orangutan

I attended a Buddhists wedding last month in Renu Nakhon. My friend a retired American marrying his Thai princess. The wedding was on a grand scale taking place over two days. I was among several friends of the couple that traveled from Bangkok. Two cows were purchased by my friend as the main course. After all had eaten the first cow on the first day of festivities, the second cow was scheduled to be killed that night in preparation for tomorrows menu.

So that night I was pulled from a table with some friends to witness the cow being killed. The group opinion as we walked toward the slaughter site was that they were going to cut the jugular vein in the neck, or the veins at the back of the hoofs and bleed the animal to death.

The animal was tied to a large tree, and sensed that his time had come as four drunk uncles moved in on him. His eyes were huge, and his nostrils were flaring as one guy grabbed the end of the rope, and another grabbed his tail. The guy with the roped pulled it tight against the tree and began circling the tree tightening the rope against the cows head and the tree. This took about 3-4 minuets as the cow kept fighting and moving to free its self. At the point when the cows head was secured against the tree, to our horror the drunkest uncle picked up a sledge hammer. In what can only be described as a out of control drunken wild man, we knew what was coming, and so did the cow. The uncle swung the sledgehammer down on the cows head, the sound was a solid thud. The cow buckled a bit but did not go down. I counted 18 blows from the sledgehammer, many only sliding off his head, some missing the top of his head completely and landing around his eyes or nose. It was the most brutal thing I had ever seen in my life, with the exception of my 18 months in Viet Nam. Needless to say my friends and I were blown away.

The way the cow was killed seem way overboard to us. Later when my friends and I asked the Thais about it, the response was "oh well, or I don't know lets eat".

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The key word here is "drunk". I've seen my brothers in law kill large pigs with a single blow to the head and it should be able to be done humanely to cows as well.

Having said that I've seen things at an Australian abbatoirs where I did a bit of casual work in my younger day that were equally horrific.

When I came to live in Asia I knew that cruelty to animals came with the territory and decided to ignore what I can't do anything about. You've said it correctly liquidflux, you just walk away.

I agree Liquid.

There's no need to torture them like that, although it wasn't their objective, what else to expect from a drunk with a sledge hammer.

I've killed pigs in Portugal with a single cut (old-fashioned way) but that's way beyond 18 sledge hammer hits as described above IMO.

Even with the "it's only a cow" comment I beg to differ.

I have more respect for most animals than for most people here on earth.

I remember working on a cattle property in Qld when 14/15, and they slaughtered their own food.

This was done by shooting the cow in the "Box" at the back of the head, a simple revolver would do it.

This was also the first time I learnt that "Good Meat" is aged, i.e. left to rot for a LOOOOONG time!

Every day was a steak fro breakast the size of a plate!

DOG

Guest lazyphil

i was on a hilltribe trek with a mate some 8 years ago and 3 spanish lads on the trek with us got wind it was my birthday and bought me a pig in a village we were staying at, killed very cleanly by cutting its throat, felt a bit rotton as i saw the little blighter scampering around the village hours before ::.....then the booze started to flow to wash it down :drunk: :drunk: those bloody roosters dont stop to considor hangovers ::

AF16 said:
BadaBing said:

Maybe they thought the cow was a republican.... ::

Bada :doah: Bing

If so why did they stop after 18 blows?

because they needed to save the majority of their strength incase they found a democrat ::

Archived