Bike helmet - Highway(Patrol)robbery Pattaya style

robaus

This is exactly the same in Samui, only in the main town Nathon! most days the boys in brown are on the look out for no helmets, and of course the thai family of nine on the scooter go past with out a problem. But not the ATM machine, sorry! 500 from you will do fine.

always wear a helmet in Nathon

shamus

quote:

Originally posted by shamus:

This is exactly the same in Samui, only in the main town Nathon! most days the boys in brown are on the look out for no helmets, and of course the thai family of nine on the scooter go past with out a problem. But not the ATM machine, sorry! 500 from you will do fine.

shamus

In Samuii always put your "Nathon hat on"

smile.gif" border="0

If you're visiting Pattaya and ride a motorbike helmetless, watch out when you're heading north along Pattaya 2nd Rd at the traffic lights junction with Central Rd. There's a small police box there opposite Tops supermarket. Almost every day I see the same situation unfolding. 6 cyclists without helmets, 5 Thai, 1 farang. Guess who gets singled out for a ticket every time? The cop must think it's great sport. Maybe your best bet is to wear a helmet for safety's sake and it's the law. But if you're not wearing one, then hang back in the traffic at that particular junction or get into the middle lanes and hide behind a baht taxi. If you creep up on the inside lane towards the lights, you're falling right into his web .... 500 baht, thank you very much, sir!

Up to youuuuu!

Thanks for the tip RobAus. The Pattaya traffic cops have several other favorite spots for hunting farang riders/drivers.

One that comes to mind is the Sukhumvit Highway, near Tesco Lotus, traveling north (just before you get to Teppasit Road).

They seem to flag down every farang and ask for money, dreaming up new infringements on the spot -- no receipt issued.

In my case it was a 400 Baht fine because my bike passenger did not wear a helmet. When did this law come into effect, I asked him.

Why right now, sir, he replied with a crocodile grin... hand outstretched for the cash!!

Motorcyclists have always been a favourite police target. In Bangkok, it's the Thais who are hit up -- usually about not having a licence or not carrying it with them. Thais tell me that pickups are another favourite. Decent looking cars seldom are bothered. But pickups are often stopped. Easy enough to find something wrong with them.

I think we’re missing the point here (and I hate to sound like your nagging mum here) but you really should wear a helmet while riding a bike in Thailand, even if the cops do seem to focus unfairly on farangs. Take your typical tourist on holiday with little or no riding experience, on an unfamiliar bike without a helmet, wearing shorts and a T-shirt, add in crazy local drivers and maybe a few beers, and you’ve got a very dangerous situation. I’m an experienced rider but when I’m in Thailand I won’t go near a bike.

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: HongKongBoy ]

I am with you KHB , everyone should wear a helmet all the time . As someone who's only transport is 2 bikes I know what can happen on 2 wheels.

F%%k I have seen some stupid stuff done by farangs in LOS on bikes, & I must say that for 1 day I joined the lunacy & rode without a helmet. This was enough for me , 1 day on Samui & I had seen enough .

Like they say ,if your head is worth a million baht buy a million baht helmet, If your head is worth 10baht buy a 10 baht helmet .......if your head is worth nothing then don't worry about a hemet!

quote:

Originally posted by shamus:

shamus

sorry to contradict but last i was in koh samui, i watched the cops stop, over-loading/no helmet thai teenagers 3 times in one hour in Chaweng, and haul their bikes away on a truck.

Otherwise, do like the thai kids do when they can: don't look at the cops, don't stop, and accelerate, the cops will not go after you. Which is why, if there are both thais and farangs, they will stop the farang. they know he will stop! (1)

PS: why, after 4 years of this law, there are still farangs who don't wear their helmet, at least inside the cities, I find mind-boggling.

(1) do not try this with the Highway police, though.

quote:

Originally posted by TropicNights:

Thanks for the tip RobAus. The Pattaya traffic cops have several other favorite spots for hunting farang riders/drivers.

One that comes to mind is the Sukhumvit Highway, near Tesco Lotus, traveling north (just before you get to Teppasit Road).

They seem to flag down every farang and ask for money, dreaming up new infringements on the spot -- no receipt issued.

In my case it was a 400 Baht fine because my bike passenger did not wear a helmet. When did this law come into effect, I asked him.

Why right now, sir, he replied with a crocodile grin... hand outstretched for the cash!!

I can assure you, if you insist on him wrongdoing, he will stop his scam. Why do farangs always accept to be milking cows in LOS,when they would not accept it in their country. i am talking when you know you have done nothing wrong. try next time, and stick to your guns politely. trust me. Also, the last time i gave a cop cash without receipt was 1989. ever since, the cop had to deliver a numbered ticket or send you to pay it at the station. Tourists give in too easily when they should not, then complain after.

Archived