Bike helmet - Highway(Patrol)robbery Pattaya style

robaus

I agreee if you have a 2 baht head get a 2 baht helmet.

The helmets that are given to guys renting bikes are no better than pisspots.

More of a hinderance than safety.

I wear an Army issue helicopter helmet in pink.....the old bill dont know what to make of that.

The 14o mph ride through Phuket is another story.

Post-Org has a good point there: the rental helmets are useless pieces of thin plastic so loose they actually slide to the back of your head as you pick up speed because of the beak and then it starts pulling your head back due to the wind-drag...arrgh...

must admit I payed 200 in Pattaya in July at above mentioned intersection. Gladly would wear a decent full-face helmet if they had one.

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: Snailster ]

Buy one, reasonable locally made lids like INDEX etc are only 1000 Baht, small price to pay for the protection they offer. I wouldn't contemplate getting on a bike even a scooter without a proper lid, I know they spoil the macho "pattayman" image, but I don't want to end up a dribbling vegatable before my time.

Hi!

I to was in Pattaya when the helmet laws went into effect. This was later than in BKK. The law was also postponed once because of the shortage of helmets. I even saw helmets made of pressed cardboard for sale on Beach rd. I thought this was particulary funny.

regards

ALHOLK

The helmet law came in on 1 January 2000 and is only sporadically enforced, just like the seat belt law which was a couple of years earlier. Another favourite police hangout in Pattaya is the junction of South Rd. and Sai Song but wherever there's traffic lights always be aware that there may be police 'cos it's much easier for them to appraoch a bike that's already stopped than to step out in front of a speeding one.

the law actually started to be enforced in the summer of 97. I was there in May, no helmet anywhere, but in August, the rental outfits were giving a helmet with each rental, and the police ticketed non-wearers. The worse intersection is P Klang and 2nd Rd. A lot of guys put the helmet on during the long red light stop, but the cops will ticket you anyway. That's one spot wher you can't run away from them. I bet they ticket 3 or 4 bikers every hour. At least, since there are always 3 or 4 cops in service.

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

Archived