Fragrance Hotel - Geylang, Lorang 20, Singapore

All--

On my way back to BKK I had to take a stop over in SIN... I usually just wait in Changi and have a bite to eat, but due to schedule irregualrity, I had an eight (8) hour wait.. I decided to get a short-stay (NOT short-TIME!) room... I went to that airport hotel (located within the airport complex) but they wanted near SGD85 for that period... The hotel suggested that I exit the airport (my luggage was kept by the airline) and get a room at a near by hotel..

I exited and cleared immigration/customs and went to the hotels kiosk outside of customs.. They suggested the Frangrance Hotel on Lorong 20, Geyland and it was only SGD35 to SGD45 for the period (this included return taxi to the airport as well)...

I arrived and checked in to the hotel found my room (which was as large as my largest clothes closet back in USA) but was nice and clean with A/C...

I called the front desk and asked about "room service".. They said that they would send someone up in a few minutes..

Since my room did not have a room service menu, I thought that they were sending somone up with a MENU for me to order from..

About 20 minutes later there is a knock on the door. I answer it (without looking in the peepholem, as this IS singapore) and there is a stunning girl in a bar-girl like clothes on! WO-WA... what do we have here...

She says to me "you need service?"

I said to her "where did you come from" She says the hotel asked her to come here for me. Now, I'm thinking to myself.. hummm I think the front desk misunderstood my request just a LITTLE bit....

Anway, like the expression says, "when opportunity knocks..."

I invited her in and we talked for a few minutes... She was Malay/Thai/Chinese/ and 20. She lived in JB and had a Sing work entry/work card to come to Sing daily.

We agreed on SGD80 +tip...

She left after about 3 hours and three sessions...

Upon checking out early the next morning. The front desk clerk (who was the same guy from late the prior evening) said to me "Room service good for you?".. To which I said "yes, thank you. I'm full now."

Anyone else have similar experiences in Singapore or at these type of hotels??

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer:

Man! you must live right.

I usually get stuck in the airport hotel

( and several times under where they were re-modeling with a jack hammer)

I bet the Fragrance hotel gets a lot more business after your post/ (any idea what the "fragrance" is)

Is ur next stop bkk?

ALSO, if you don't mind the inquiry.

what kind of hf long radios do they use on the big planes you ups on?

bet they still got the old collins 718U systems.

Damn! I'm suffering here, still about 2 weeks till HKT.

I hope you got more adventures to post in the meanwhile.

chok dee

pasathai--

I HATE that airport hotel.. expensive, small, no service (food)... nothing...

I picked the frangrance hotel simply for three reasons: 1) cheap, 2) close by, 3) free return taxi... that's it.

They do have a website (I found it later on) http://www.fragrancehotel.com/

I have NO idea about the "Fragrance" part of it.. the hotel only had one smell.. industrial... you know, that cleaner/disinfection solution-type smell..

As far as our long-rage communications equipment.. I have to plead ignorant on that.. UPS has a closed-cockpit policy, so I really don't spend much time there (or at all).. I'll have to ask my flight crew on my MNL-ANC leg about that...

I do know that we can send basic "email" messages.. I've only done that a few times... They must be for emergency or other "urgent" matters... I guess posting to Nanaplaza.com wouldn't pass... LOL

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer:

Better be cautious about asking about comm equip. ( an afterthought by me), recent events may make interest in that stuff suspect/

MY trips throught SIN usually only have short connect times, so if I don't want to wander around in the airport. ( dont those bird noises make you wonder if you are going to get pooped on?) the rooms in the airport are the pitts, but when there is no construction going on sleep makes the time go quickly.

One time when i had some work in SIN, I stayed at the Airport changi hotel, very fancy ( for me anyway) and I do recall the antiseptic smell.

IMHO, SIN is just too clean for me.

I even went out to a disco ( no idea where, but far up in a nice building. My recollection was a real shapley lady, but her face looked like Indra gandi in her later years). I just stuck with my drink and observations that night.

the other time I got out of the airport, I had a cab driver find me a cheep room>

A real dump, had one room full of cotts with ppl sleeping ( it was about 1 am by the time I got there) but ended up with a private room.

all in all, not my best choice compaired to just staying in the airport.

that was wshen I was on my way to Jakarta several years ago, ( on the flight to SIN they anonounced the USA had just decleard war in the Gulf, jakarta being my my dest. I got the "wrong place at the wrong time" feeling big time).

After my time in Jakarta. ( our embassy even found a bomb in the garden, so security was pretty good(( after the fact)) I was headed to bkk/hkt to relax.

seems it was the day after the riots in Bkk

( army shot ppl, ect) and Garuda would not fly to thailand ( but did not bother telling all the ppl waiting).

we got a seat on TG, and finally made it to phuket.

funny ( strange/sad) thing, the ppl in phuket did not seem concerned about the events in BKK.

Now days, not much adventure involved with travel. just snauk. ( or thinking of it b4 hand)

pasathai--

I'll PM you with the radio information... It's not like it's classified information or anything...

I agree with you... SIN is a bit "sterile", but for me, SIN is the "end of the line" after hitting ports such as NRT, HKG, BKK and/or MNL... So I happen to like the level of "cleanliness" the SIN has... It's like I finally get a good shower...

I refuse to pay over SGD75 for a lousy "short-stay" hotel.. Plus, since our flights depart SIN early am I don't want to be far from the airport and risk get caught in CBD (Central Business District) area traffic on my way to the airport...

I've only been to Jarkart once.. Ever since the political climate change (read= rioting) in E. Timor, UPS pulled operations/people out of the region and put it into suspension mode. So much for Jarkarta/Indonesia...

Since Geylang is the classic red-light district in Singapore, no wonder the room-service is something special. A better place to stay for just one overnight is the Bencoolen Street area, there are some affordable and reasonable hotels and it's a short walk to some good hawker centers and, if you're lonely, you can get some massages at Bugis HC or Paradiz HC. Bye, H.

homeboy03 --

The funny thing about the Geylang area is that unless you knew ahead of time that it was the red-light area, you'd never know it... There are absolutely no signs with any type of "suggestive" names... no (freelance)girls walking around... and like a lot of Singapore, there is a lot of people out and about after dark (as it's soo much cooler than ther daytime heat)..

Funny thing about it is when you said "red light" district, I thought back to all those little houses with the red chinese lanterns hanging outside the houses.

Archived