Does she need a visa to visit the UK?

steffi

So my wife and I live in the US (she has a permanent resident card) and I am a British National. So does she need a visa to accompany me to visit my father in the UK?

Does she qualify under the following?

"If you are an eligible family member you need an EEA Family Permit. Eligible family members are defined in the EEA Regulations as:

the spouse of an EEA national, excluding a person who is party to a marriage of convenience"

Doesn't a Thai qualify under the "Family Members (non-EEA) of EEA/Swiss National?

ie.

You asked if a national of Thailand needs a visa to come to the UK as a non EEA/Swiss family member of an EEA/Swiss national.

If you are an eligible family member you need an EEA Family Permit. Eligible family members are defined in the EEA Regulations as:

the spouse of an EEA national, excluding a person who is party to a marriage of convenience

a descendant (child or grandchild) of an EEA national or his/her spouse who is 21 years of age or is their dependant (this includes stepchildren or adopted children)

a dependant in the ascending line (ie parents or grandparents) of an EEA national or his/her spouse

A Family Permit is similar to a visa, but is issued free of charge to eligible family members of EEA and Swiss citizens. It allows you to travel to or stay freely in the UK with your EEA family member.

If you want to come to the UK independently of your EEA family member, the normal visa requirements apply. Please re-submit your enquiry, choosing another Purpose of visit.

Please read Guidance - EEA & Swiss Nationals for more information.

To apply for a visa you will need to fill in form VAF1 - non-settlement.

Any dependants under 16 years old, included on your passport, can be included on the same form, but those older will need to fill in separate forms.

If you are a national of, or are normally and legally living in United States please make your application to Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York.

If you are applying to our visa sections in the USA, you can now make your application and pay online though the visa4UK website.

Ask your embassy but my interpretation is no. I haven't studied british law but swedish, international and some danish law and normally if you make rules for a group like EEA + Switzerland your own country's citizens are not included. I guess that there're less complicated ways for a british citizen living abroad to bring his wife to visit his country.

I've once brought a thai lady living in Sweden to UK and it was a lot of papers they needed in the embassy in Copenhagen to get that family members permit which is not formally a visa btw, so you and she must enter UK at the same time.

Elef is right British Citizens are not classed as EEA/EU citizens regarding immigration law, so she would need to apply for a Visa.

Britain has opted out of immigration (S visa does not apply to UK) as an example.

In order to get a family permit you would need to be a citizen of an EEA country (excluding UK) and apply for the permit in your EEA country of residence or Embassy if you are abroad, providing that your Thai wife has the right of abode in your EEA country.

::

Archived