Red Royal seal vs. Green Royal seal

I'm hoping someone can clarify this situation for me.

Situation: Wife and I puchased a parcel of land in thailand and the deed to the land has a green Royal seal (looks like a bird-man) at the top. My wife said we need to get a red seal on the deed. She explained that the red seal gives us 100% ownwership of the land. The green seal allows the Thai government to take or sell our land.

Question: Is anyone familiar with the Green Seal vs. Red Seal and if so, how does this work?? ::

Red you own it outright, green you can own but can;t sell I think,

Really stupid system of landownership.

Instead of empowering the serfs to own something, Paternal Thailand "Lets" them use the land but not own it.

A better system is to allow owner ship, but restrict use, in Thailand they restrict both. That way the man who owns everything can keep it forever.

DOG

I've heard an explanation of land deeds, but it wasn't about the colour of the seals but thai legal terms for how confirmed the ownership of the land area is. It goes back to Rama V - before he changed it all land in Thailand was owned by the king according to feudal principles. If a land deed is already of the highest class no problems at all. There're at least 3 classes of lower value - the lowest more or less that they've registered your claim on that land. So if you buy a land area of the 2nd class and want to get the highest class deed, the land must be measured and borders set and so on. There may very well be one or several other land deeds with the same or better right to the whole or parts of the land. And the land can actually be owned by the state and just ockupied so all land deeds are in fact worthless. All disputes must be settled before you can get a land deed of the highest class - it may take years and cost a lot of money.

Just what I remember of the explanation I got some years ago from a thai lawyer.

Elef

Your definition sounds similiar to my wifes explantion.

Now you may not believe this...but apparently 20 or so years ago, the local Thai land office switched the land measurements and boundary drawing of our land parcel and the adjacent parcel, :: say it aint so!

This of course, is holding up our getting the revered "red seal". Lucky for us an old lady owns the adjacent lot, which is 3 rai larger and she is threatening the land office with a lawyer if they don't "fix" their SNAFU. MY take is " Its my land, I paid for it, we have the deed...wether green or red seal, and I am building my house on it!!! ::

Archived