Working with the Thais is exasperating

Chlp

... and I have yet to put my finger on the root cause for this (other than general resentment of farang).

What I'm talking about is the situation when a farang boss asks a Thai employee to do something--and it never gets done, or it never gets done on time, or it never gets done right.

The book "Working with the Thais" which I find to be overall quite good, offers the following explanation:

You have to ask us in a nice way, a quiet way. Don't shout. They (the expats) are pushy...

There is only one problem with this explanation. Thai bosses are pushy bastards. They don't ask in a nice way--they demand. They generally use and abuse their employees as much as they can. They yell and shout at their employess as they please.

Yes, expat bosses may be impersonal and businesslike and have high standards, but they generally treat their Thai employess with a lot more respect and consideration than Thai bosses.

Which brings me back to the original question--why is it that expat bosses have such difficult getting their employees to perform even the basic tasks with a modicum of competence?

Any comments or insights?

"Thai bosses are pushy bastards. They don't ask in a nice way--they demand. "

Yes this is true but since they do not know what they are doing, they dont expect anyone else to. There are no standards and if things dont get done, no targets will be missed. The object of work is to work together peacefully. ( although this sometimes doesnt work)

I have a Thai friend who is quitting her American company. Although she is on a very good wack. She would rather go back and work for a Japanese or Thai company since the work is less stressful. No mission statement. No monthly targets etc. She will be losing about 20K a month but in her mind it is worth it.

Two possibilities:

1) The Thai employee didn't understand the instructions in English, but is too embarrassed to admit it.

2) The Thai employee -- probably lowly paid -- doesn't really give a sh*t and will just try to do enough to keep the boss off their back.

p.s. A Thai archan borrowed my copy of "Working With the Thais" several years ago and never returned it -- a common failing with the Thais that drives me bananas! I've lost several books this way to western educated Thais. :(

p.s. A Thai archan borrowed

borrow = gift to most thais ( when farang to thai direction)

as to not doing the assigment quickly or correctly, it mite be a face thing, resisting being told what to do ( agin, by a farang?)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it is exasperating after a while - I think it becomes fairly predictable.

American companies seem to be more intent on having mission statements and things like that. Management models that work in one place fall flat here.

If I was Thai I would far prefer a Japanese company to any other falang employer.

American companies seem to be more intent on having mission statements and things like that. Management models that work in one place fall flat here.

By definition, management models that work in one place (that is not here in Thailand) will of course fail here.

...I think it becomes fairly predictable.

Why?

You make some remarks, but there is no explanation?

My take is that many Thais prefer working for a Japanese organization because a Japanese organization is usually regimented. Very clear and defined job descriptions and procedures. Much less decision making skills required. A much more friendly work environment for the standard non-confrontational Thai folk.

An "American" company, by contrast, is usually much less regimented and much more results oriented. Decision making happens all over the place and one has to justify their decisions (not as friendly a work environment for a non-confrontational culture).

Downside is this "American" system is more short-term performance biased whereas the Japanese have a much more patient long-term performance view.

But these are HUGE generalities here but at least some sort of attempt at an explanation.

<>

why is it that expat bosses have such difficult getting their employees to perform even the basic tasks with a modicum of competence?

Any comments or insights?

Communication and expectations coupled with training. And a dash of understanding the culture. Had a friend who was involved with manufacturing. Had a lot of high tech machinery that people had to be pretty educated to use.

Office staff treated these machine engineers extremely bad (because they did "manual" labor stuff and frequently got physically dirty on the job with the equipment). So these guys would come, learn, and then leave. Huge headache for the farang boss till he understood what was going on. Took him well over a year (and a few firings) for the office staff to understand the company value added wasn't in them doing accounting, but in those engineers keeping the machines running nicely.

As mentioned before, communication is the key. Thai staff also needs to understand the ramifications of saying "yes" when they really should have said "no" or "please explain again". I've seen a lot of farangs just throw their hands up in frustration and not explain why they are upset. This won't change anything. Training training training.

Tough road to walk, but if you can setup clear procedures and give decision-making training, it's not so bad after you weed out the unproductive folk!

<>

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Island Style. Having lived in Hawaii almost 20 years I can tell you that mastering the laid back, mai pen rai, style is a great skiill that make things good for me whilst traveling. IN thailand, the caribbean etc. I often see Farang getting pushy and laugh...No progress for them.

Got to stay Kool, don't let you water get hot!

Archived