Language School in Jakarta

carlton68

Hi,

another not directly sex-related question:

I am looking for a language school in Jakarta which offers lessons in Bahasa Indonesia. As I am there only in holidays for four weeks in April/May I need something compact and intensive, but I don't want to take one-on-one lessons. I prefer a class.

Until now I came across the Australian International Institute (near Blok M Plaza) which ofers a four week intensive class, 100 hours at 40.000 an hour.

If anyone has an URL for me to check out would be very helpful.

Thanks

Carlton

For 40,000 you should be able to get a private tutor, because thats about what schools pay local teachers. I see ads in the paper from time to time, but the certain way to find a teacher is to contact an English language school and get in contact with local teachers. They would be eager to take you on.

Adik Gede,

a private teacher might be the solution, regarding the schedule, place and transport. Yes, a private teacher has some advantages. Still I prefer a class as this gives me some pressure to stick to schedules and progress. I wouldn't mind sleeping longer while the private teacher's meter is running, but a class doesn't wait for me.

Oh, and I know myself a bit, I would look for a private teacher who is slim, black hair, nice smile and female. laugh.gif" border="0 I wouldn't ask for the qualification in teaching the language...

But I think you are right on that.

Carlton

Here is a link to a school in Yogyakarta (YILC / Wisma Bahasa} that is very good: http://yogya.wasantara.net.id/~wisba/wisba They may be able to help you out in Jakarta. I had heard that they were planning to open a school here in Jakarta several years ago, but I guess it never materialized.

You may also ask around at www.expat.or.id (or something similar). Try the gurken institute, or whomever the cultural attache is for your state.

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: Adik Gede ]

tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

Adik Gede, 'Gurken Institute', that's fine!!! Hell, you must be german!

Thanks, I already asked at the german embassy, they recommended AUSII, which is the above mentioned.

The offers in Bali are more tourist oriented and there they have many crash courses. But four weeks Bali might kill me. Somehow I don't like Bali too much.

If you are considering doing it in another city I would strongly consider going to YILC. I took a week long course there ten years ago followed by two weeks of private. Most of the students there at the time were in fact from Jakarta, and virtually all of the students were from Commonwealth country NGO's all though I did meet a few business folks there also. At the time (2000IDR=1USD) I was taking lunch for 600IDR and room and board was $30 a month.

I eventually went on to take two years of Indonesian at university, where incidently half of my class mates were Indonesian.

If your significant other is Indonesian you can learn a great deal through self study. Just make a point of reading Kompas everyday although the language is very formal as a German speaker you shouldn't have any trouble with all the word construction that goes on in formal languauge but has been stripped away from most spoken language.

Here are some news sights that also have English language pages www.kompas.co.id www.tempo.co.id www.detik.com

An amusing story (there are many) about learning the language: http://www.thejakartapost.com/yesterdaydetail.asp?fileid=20020217.@03

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Adik Gede ]

Thanks,

I liked the piece in the Jakarta Post.

My intention is to learn the language that far that I can do simple conversations in Bahasa Indonesia and then proceed to improve it through practice. My wife is indonesian and we have a small network of indonesians here in europe, I'll have the chance to practice. And I'll read the indonesian newspapers as soon as I can make sense of them. A friend warned me that the language you learn out on the streets is not suitable in business as of being considered rude. For that the newspapers make better tutors than the long-haired-dictionaries.

For various reasons I have to stay in Jakarta most of the time, so that's the place where I go school. YILC never open a branch in Jakarta, as far as I could see on their page. The rest looks good, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived