Day trip in Japan

Greetings, I'llhave a full day in Narita..The ANA BKK to HNL stopover. I would like to get a day tour in Tokyo to include the HRC in Rappongi and Tikyo Tower.

The Thai Lady will cover the Bye Bye Boom so I just be sight seeing! Any Ideas on a tour?

Mahalo

Honolulu Jimmy

Doubtful that it will happen. There is no place that offers tours for you. You would have to take the train from Narita to Roppongii which would take you nearly 3 hours. Narita is very far from downtown Tokyo. It is located near Chiba which is a ways out in the country. And trust me you will have a diffulcult if you don't speak japanese or have some knowledge of the japanese train system. A taxi is not an option unless you wanna pay hundreds of dollars. My recommendation is to find a place to drink at the airport and get drunk and wait for your flight.

I guess it would only take aroun 1 hour 30 minutes to get to Roppongi station from departing Narita....58 minutes to Tokyo station and then another 30 minutes from Tokyo....

unless your saying 3 hours both ways...

Sanukboot

[ February 26, 2002: Message edited by: SanukBoot ]

Yeah I looked it up its 1 hour and 52 mins. with 3 transfer and a little walking between stations. The price is about 2,200 Yen. I still think it would be difficult for someone no knowledge of Japan. As Japan is not the easiest place to get around. But you could give it a try. The worst thing that could happen is you get lost.

Hi,

I only had a holiday of 16 days in Japan once. So I'm nothing like an old hand. But once thing I noticed is that it is not that difficult to go by train cause they write most directions in english as well. I took trains and subways a lot, cause reliable, fast and frequent. If you change the subways you should have small money ready as most times you have to pay again.

The japs are a nice bunch of people, you're worried about your direction just ask someone.

If you have the time it's better than drinking in the airport bar.

Carlton

HJ -- A few years ago I did exactly what you are proposing. On the ANA flight from NY to BKK I laid over in Tokyo from 3PM until pick up at the airport the next morning.

Instead of proceeding to the bus as directed I went through Japanese customs, stopped at the information counter for maps and directions and then proceeded to the express train. I think it was called "express", I know it was not the fastest train available (Bullet Train?) but it was the second fastest mode of transportation and a lot less expensive that the fastest way.

Anyway, it took about 2 hours to reach my destination, which was a touristy part of town where I did some sightseeing, shopping and had a sushi dinner. I had to change trains once to get there. I met a group of four high school student on the train who helped with directions and were happy to practice their English for a few minutes.

By 8 o'clock I was tired and ready to take the train back to the airport to catch the bus to the hotel, which btw, stops running after 11 PM, at least it did then. The accomodation at the ANA hotel was fine and free breakfast in the morning. I saved a couple of bucks on the airline ticket and it was fun to stop in Tokyo overnight, but I don't think I'd do it again unless I could share the experience with a friend. The train ride was kind of a long one.

Yeah you could take the Narita Express to Shinjuku then Shinjuku to Ebisu and then Ebisu to Roppongi. But you have to leave the station to go to the subway and just like Smitty was saying its difficult if you don't speak the language but just go to one of the japanese guys working there and tell you want to go to Roppongi and they should point you in the correct way. Shinjuku is the busiest station in Tokyo with millions going through there each day and its big so be prepared.

Archived