INDONESIA

"what about violence in JKT.. ?"

"religious violence....particulary on Java these days..."

"extremists went through hotels....demanding if americans were guests...."

Sure........it's scary......i'm petrified with terror and surely will never go back to JKT....

"once again improve your poor english!"

Sure.........i'll try to do my best mon ami (au fait parles nous un peu de JL Godard, en parfait français bien sur !!)

Selamat tingall goblok...

Boys,

you're getting off topic and also calling each other names is not very helpful.

Siam Sam wrote just two lines, and I disagree with him (Bali has some nice spots as long as you leave Kuta and Ubud and the many mainstream tourists. Gee - I met some ignorant 'culture tourists' who were proud of never having used a squat toilet. That's worse than getting drunk with some australians in Kuta. (No, I don't want to flame the australians, they are nice and easy blokes)).

Prosal, I agree that the muslims in Indonesia are not that hardcore like in some other countries. Most are really normal and have other things in their mind than slaughtering pagans.

Unfortunately Adik Gede doesn't do that many posts, but I'm always eager to read them. Helps me to understand a little. He's got more on his mind than pussy hunting and I wish I could say that of myself.

Siam Sam,

you are a native english speaker? Anyhow no need to flame people who's mother tongue is one of the many others in the world. There are a lot of people on the board less english literate than Prosal (and I think prosal is doing fine). Some of these illiterates seem to be native english speakers btw. Show more respect for people who didn't get their english by breastfeeding.

Prosal,

goblok, that's what my wife called me on our wedding day. Made our translator blush and me laugh. More than once. I think I got the woman I deserve.

So please shake your virtual hands, drink a virtual beer together and flame each other in the private messages. You're not going to be buddies anyway.

Carlton

"goblok, that's what my wife called me on my wedding day.."

Carlton i can't stop laughing since 30 minutes......you made my day....indonesian girls have a great sense of humor (or are they the most cynical in the world ?)....

Anyway see you on the Jakarta thread as from now this one is closed for me.

Cheers

Carlton,

On my wedding day my wife said "brengsek! diam!" in the middle of Istliqal [sic?] all the while smiling. I was only commenting on the fact that her cousin stuck a straight pin in my head to keep the veil from falling off of us.

Siam Siam,

I am very familiar with conditions on the ground in Indonesia I have lived here since '98 and been visiting the country for more than ten years. I witnessed the riots first hand as we had to rescue legal documents from a building that was about to be burned. The wild and hostile crowd was eager to help us accomplish our task safely after we explained our situation. I watched Rendra deliver his "We Hate" poem to parliment, and I watched Harmoko coming out of the national Palace on the verge of tears when Habibie was announced as Soeharto's succesor. I knew about Indonesia's decision to abandon East Timor days after Habibie took office and weeks before the UN. I have sat in the election commision chambers while the foreign corespndents waited at the gates.

While Indonesia may be in turmoil you have overstated your own hunches. Indonesia may not be user friendly, as Carlton has already mentioned, but it is reasonably safe. I read the papers every day and violence is not unheard of in Bali. The last time I was in Bali I was telling a ex-jakarata resident about communal violence and the maming and killing of scooter thieves. Yes too much violence in Jakarta, not a problem here he boasted, just like they like to do in Yogya. Then he proceded to tell me about local preman that was beaten near death just that morning behind his restaraunt. None of these incidents would in any way indanger a tourist.

The incident you metiononed about Hezbollah in Yogya in Solo appears to not have happened, allthough CNN never reported that the story was under question. The story was woven out of an incident with Hezbollah several years ago when they went and checked hotel registries in Solo with the intention of asking an Jewish people to leave the country. No one should be concerned about coming to Indonesia for the reasons that you mention because they are simply not altogether accurate. If the US decides to take unilateral action in Iraq with out any progress on the Israel issue, Indonesians will be angry at America, and not without just cause. No one should think that going to Bali would be any less hostile for westerners than going to Java or anywhere else in the country. Last October Christians and Hindus alike were vocal in thier denounciation of the bombing of Afghanistan.

Archived