Farang Undercover Operators in Pattaya

Originally posted by noo6:

"Later everybody was saying foreign police can't carry guns in Thailand ... all things considered there must be lots of foreign cops in thailand."

They do carry guns, and as fas as I know they have a permission to do so (maybe this is not officially declared, for reasons of "national sovereignity").

I know of a German undercover agent who was living in the Sukhumvit area. One day he had a shoot-out with Thai drug dealers in Pattaya, he killed one of them and, for his own safety, he had to leave Thailand the very same day. He didn't even go back to his flat, but rushed right to the airport instead. The gangsters were after him.

Every major Western country has a few undercover police in Thailand; they're usually attached to the embassies.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

quote:

Originally posted by joegumby:

- Where I come from, this is called 'entrapment'. Can the cops in Thailand get away with this?

Not entrapment at all.

quote:

"almost immediately after hitting the streets the first Uzbekistan woman propositioned one of the undercover operators....

The charges registered against the women were ?openly soliciting clients offering sexual services in exchange for costs ranging from 1,500 - 3,000 baht?

The crime is _soliciting_ prostitution - it was the girls that initiated. I really doubt there is the same concept of "entrapment" in Thailand anyway. There certainly is less of a "unreasonable search" concept. I mean, a few weeks ago, cops raid a go-go bar, and urine test everybody for drugs.

One thing I've wondered about is if, in the eyes of Thai law, what I and so many others do here could even be represented as prostitution in Thai court. We never talk about money, in fact that's a deal breaker for me, and so there is no solicitation. We just have a tacit understanding that we will have sex together and she will be conpensated. Usually I just slip a note into her bag without her even knowing. Sure, technically it's prostitution, but where exactly are she or I breaking Thai law?

Suppose an undercover cop barfines a bargirl, takes her to a hotel, screws her, then gives her, unrequested, a 1000B note. She wais to him and accepts it. Can the cop then arrest her?

As far as I know, in the US, the only way the vice cops can get you are actually soliciting. That is, you talk explicitly about exchanging sex for money.

Archived