Updates ready for your pc

Pescator

Before I got my act together and disabled the automatic windows update, several updates were downloaded on to my pc, no doubt the validation tool is included.

So every time I log on, there is this balloon notifying me of the updates to be installed.

Now I most definitely don´t wanna install these as I use the excellent update link supplied by carlton.

But since I am not the only user of my pc, I am certain that sooner or later the missus or the kids will invariably click the balloon and install the validation tool and then I am fucked.

How do I remove the files that have already been downloaded? What is the location?

cheers

hua nguu

Hua Nguu,

no idea where the files are. But I think you can set the updates so they will not be offered anymore.

right-click on the yellow shield, in the pop-up choose manual selection (or user defined, sorry as I am guessing the english texts from my german installation). Deselect the update you dont want to install. Click install (or close if you deselected all entries). Next you'll get a small pop-up where you can choose not to be bothered again.

This doesn't remove the files but you and the other users won't get reminded to install the patches anymore.

Hope this helps.

Just for clarification, most likely you will have the WGA tool already installed as it came with the windows update software several month ago. The WGA tool itself only keeps you from downloading additional software like IE7 beta. Still able to get security updates from M$. Winboard.org just bundles them together. Very convenient to update several computers as only one download is needed.

Then there is the WGA Notification that comes as a security patch, calls home and tells you things you already know.

Both WGA and WGA notification can be removed, patched or tricked, if you have them on your computer.

Archived