An easy one - maybe

up2me

I have been listining to a couple of Thai language corses and have been to Thailand two times.

I haven't gotten past the polite word men say all the time. I have heard it pronounced variously as kop, khrap, klap, kup. I can't decide which pronunciation to use. The Thai people I have spoken with mostly say it as kop, but when it is written out phonetically it is usually khrap?????

What's up with this?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, most just say 'cap'...very quickly...on the radio etc it's all 'cap'....i like....easier....and doesn't sound like 'crap' which i always had trouble saying, due to it's fecal like meaning in english

TV and radio people use it all the time when doing interviews...not used much in everyday life IME ( maybe I just mix with LoSo types )...knowing exactly when and where to use the PP is a skill that takes time to aquire...

I haven't gotten past the polite word men say all the time. I have heard it pronounced variously as kop, khrap, klap, kup. I can't decide which pronunciation to use. The Thai people I have spoken with mostly say it as kop, but when it is written out phonetically it is usually khrap?????

What's up with this?

up2me asks a good question.

In my first language class here in Bangkok, I asked the same question.

The director of the school answered, "You must always say, "'krrap'".

I asked, "Why?"

She sternly responded, in a school-teacherly way, "So people know you went to a good school!" _ :shocked:

The point: "krrap" is the educated version.

All others versions indicate less education, lower class level.

Now, after two more years of study, I can read and write in Thai.

The correct pronunciation is definitely, "krrap".

Now, after living in Bangkok for two years, I have the chance to hear people speak, people from all different social classes, regions of the country, and levels of education.

I don't mix with the hi-so but I come across the occasional college professor or doctor.

I don't mix with the construction workers, but at times I will exchange a few words with a bus driver or the maintenance men or pool boys at my building.

The director of that language school was precisely correct, the more educated men always use "krrap".

The lower classes tend to "kop", "klop", "kup" and so on.

...not used much in everyday life IME ( maybe I just mix with LoSo types

I don't know about Lo-So types, but here in Bangkok I hear "krrap" countless times in everyday life.

It is a word indicating respect from a Thai man.

A waiter will say "krrap" to mean, "Yes, I understand your order," or "Right away, sir."

A doorman will say "krrap" to mean, "Good morning, sir".

A hotel clerk will say "krrap" to mean, "Yes, there is a room available."

A pizza delivery man will use "krrap" to mean, "Thank you for the tip."

Sometimes I neglect to use "krrap" when I speak Thai.

Often, the Thai person to whom I am speaking will correct me in a very polite way, by repeating exactly the words I just said, and then adding "krrap" with an extra bit of emphasis.

On Thai television, the announcers often say the ultra-polite form, "na-krrap".

That I don't often hear in everyday life -- only for formal situations.

up2me is on the right track with his question about what is probably the most important word in Thai language.

I used to wonder why Thais were always repeating back to me what I had just said to them - it took me a little while to realise that they are being helpful, correcting tones and pronunciation. So now I say something incorrectly, then they say it correctly, and then I try to repeat it back... Kind of like pingpong, krrap.

TV and radio people use it all the time when doing interviews...not used much in everyday life IME

My experience exactly.

Hear it in the media all the time but besides from that, very seldomly. But as has already been suggested, it definitely depends on what kind of people you hang around.

In upcountry villages for instance talk is very informal, never heard Khrap used here. Not when addressing me anyway.

Sometimes I neglect to use "krrap" when I speak Thai.

Often, the Thai person to whom I am speaking will correct me in a very polite way, by repeating exactly the words I just said, and then adding "krrap" with an extra bit of emphasis.

Wow, that would kinda piss me off.

I only recall one such episode where the umpteenth street vendor would approach me to sell me some stuff while I was having a conversation with some thai friends on the beach.

"I don`t want it" "mai ao" and she would repeat my words adding a khrap. Gimme a break and get outta my face.

In my experience thai guys are the worst offenders when it comes to this. They often omit the krap when having a conversation with a foreigner, and then personally I cannot be bothered to use it either, unless it is someone of obviously and significantly higher status. OR a cop who has just pulled me over for a traffic violation :smirk:

Often same thai guys will expect foreigners to use the polite article although they don`t themselves. :doah:

On Thai television, the announcers often say the ultra-polite form, "na-krrap".

The ultra-polite form would rather be Krapom �รั��ม :)

cheers

hua nguu

It doesn't matter where you are, good manners are always appreciated. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the 'kraap' in any province; poeple appreciate the effort, and it is the central Thai dialect which everyone understands.

Unless you have been here a long time, it takes a while to understand the Northern and Southern dialects.

Most of the girls from the NE speak Khmer, it's not Thai.

If you've just started learning the language, converse in English and throw in a few words of what you've learnt AT SCHOOL until you're fairly proficient and have built up a decent vocabulary. :)

Most Thais are very quick at recognising regional variations, and therefore categorising the company you mix with. :shakehead:dunno:

So if you want to impress people with your knowledge of Khmer, it is as good as having a red stamp with the words 'N@N@ PL@Z@' emblazoned on your forehead.. :doah:

Archived