L'Opera - Suk Soi 39

Long Gun

I ate at this place for the first time in my 8+ years here, last night. Absolutely superb IMHO. Easily the best Italian food I've eaten here, pissed all over Pan Pan in particular (as one which seems to get recommended). I enjoyed every morsel of the meal, particularly the antipasti buffet section.

I have to say that I only ate there because I wasn't paying, it's not exactly cheap, but I would say it was good value given the quality on offer and the service and I would probably treat myself there on a special occasion. Main courses were mostly around B300-350 although the antipasti buffet allows repeat visits with a big plate for B240 and I could easily have contented myself with that for a good meal with the free breads, great variety of tastes.

Back to the Warbler tonight, the best value buffet in town IMHO (though they don't include tenderloin of lamb with garlic, herbs and wild mushrooms!)

Life is OK!

LG

I certainly agree with everything you said here Mr. Gun. L'Opera is one of the finest Italian restaurants in town. The price and size of the place (often on Friday and Saturday evenings there is a long line of waiting diners) are the only negatives.

By the way, the same guy owns another L'Opera in Vietianne if you should ever make it there. IMO, that is the best restaurant in the Lao capital city.

So, see you at Warbler's for the buffet tonight. Try to show up before your usual 9:30pm or I might just have eaten it all

quote:

Originally posted by adakal:

Howdy,Please help me,where and what is Warblers?

Warbler's is a piece of the Santos (the owner)Empire in Thailand. It also includes Titty Twister (gogo in NEP), Hunter's Pub on Soi 4 (great steak deal), Warbler's II in Pattaya, a hair salon, and a laundry-dry cleaning business.

Warbler's is about 200 m down Sukhumvit Soi 4 from the Nana Entertainment Plaza on the same side of the street. It now features buffets just about every night of the week. I like the Friday buffet for 180 baht. A selection of Indian, Thai, and Western foods.

In addition to the great grub, Warbler's features cold draft beer, a pool table, friendly waitresses, big screen TV, and live music some nights. It used to be a great place to go after the other bars closed, but since the 2AM crackdown, no longer.

Still, a great place to start your Friday night run on NEP.

time for the frenchman in me to look into the Nana "food" section. Thanks, Sarisin, about warblers. Buffet is my style of eating experience. I always dug the Shangri-la or oriental Buffet, quite more expensive, but really cheap if compared with home prices. I spent 30 $ last time i went there and everything from Hors D'oeuvres to desert is just fabulous. Perfect to treat a good friend on a special day.

Just to try and save the innocents among us and present another point of view .... I'd say that L'Opera is unquestionably one of the lousiest restaurants I've ever eaten in anywhere. Its clientel seems to be restricted entirely to foreigners who live in the neighboorhood and don't know any better. It's the sort of place that would be considered the best restaurant in Fresno, California (out by the airport, at least).

You want Italian? Go to Biscotti; go to Zanotti; go to Angelo's Kitchen; hell, go to Pizza Hut if you have to. But DON"T go to L'Opera.

I'd say L'Opera is just "OK"; neither lousy or truly great.

Here's how the town's Italian restaurants rank, IMH-Italian-American-O (and assuming price is irrelevent):

1) Zanotti

2) Gianni's

3) Biscotti

4) Ciao (at the Oriental)

5) Angelini (at the Shangri-La)

6) Rossini (at the Sheraton Sukhumvit)

7) Scoozi (Soi Sribumphen)

8) La Piola (Sukhumvit Soi 15)

9) La Gritta (Sukhumvit Soi 19)

10)L'Opera

11)Duilio's

12)Paparazzi (on the strength of the pizza)

13)Pan Pan

quote:

Originally posted by PvtDick:

Here's how the town's Italian restaurants rank, IMH-Italian-American-O (and assuming price is irrelevent):

Well, it's not in my case which is probably why I have hardly eaten at any of these!! I am pleased to see Pan Pan at the bottom though as I have been there a few times over the years - when someone else has chosen the venue for a birthday or something - and I have never had a half-decent meal there.

I don't suppose you feel like redrafting that list in terms of value for money, would you? Or even just rearranging them in order of price. I suppose part of my enthusiasm was due to what looked like reasonable prices, even though I wasn't paying.

LG

LG's advertisement is working. I had not been there for a long time but decided to take my GF out this week. As always: superb!

LG: get your commission! 10 confirmed visits through the board and complimentary dinner??

Archived